http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
Newbie of the newnies

Author Topic: Newbie of the newnies  (Read 21946 times)

itjustmeD

Newbie of the newnies
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
I think that I\'m doing this right. :) I haven\'t even gotten my 4x4 yet. The closest I\'ve gotten to \'4 wheeling\' is taking my Subaru Loyal that got f.u.b.a.r.ed in an accident; out into my friends back lot through the mud, trees, ruts & ditches. Lol O\' ya & a few jumps too. :) Put an ear to ear smile on my face let me tell you. =D Anyways, I\'m in need of a vehicle & I\'ve been looking a round & it is looking promising that I might be able to get an old Cherokee 4x4. So I started cruising around the net & I found my way to your sight & I\'ve really got to say; You all sound like really great bunch of people. :) I\'ve always loved & wanted to get a 4x4 that I could go out & see nature in all of it\'s glory. It\'s just never worked out that way. I hope that I get to go out wheelin\' with you guys some day. In the mean time I\'ll just have to chat.

Danon

MReinh3233

Re: Newbie of the newnies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
Welcome,

Mike

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:12:13 AM »
Welcome.

check out our classified section for some good deals on 4x4\'s.

keep us updated on your progress.

To gain access to the members forum (which includes an up close and personal bio section, Members only ride discussions,club sponsorship info, club discounts and more) you are required to become a member.

If your interested you will need to make it to one of our monthly meetings, held the last Tuesday of every month here in Rochester. (see home page on website for time & location)

Hope to see you at a meeting and on the trail!

-Erik  :welcome:
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

itjustmeD

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
Found it, thanks!! I will. Do u know any body that has a bumper for a \'92 Cherokee? The Jeep I\'m look to get doesn\'t have one.

You\'ve got a pretty sweet rig. I\'m guessing you\'ve been doing this for a while. Do you also happen to know if anyone ever tried making a 6x6 rig that the two rear drive shafts aren\'t connected? Where all three axles would be free to move as they need.

Danon

Dragon

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
Welcome.

And the only 6x6 I know of where all three axles were free to move was called the T-Rex, and was based on a Dodge RAM 150 (I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTjwwME6Jlo

itjustmeD

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Thanks I just looked at the video\'s & it looks like the rear drive wheels of the T-Rex are directly connected. \'tandem axle design\' isn\'t that where the drive shaft connects to the first rear axle & then connects to the second rear drive axle? I never did learn the terming of all of this stuff.
That\'s not the design that I was thinking. If I understand the phrase \'tandem axle design\' correctly. Mine would be more of a \'parallel axle design\'. Rear drive would be two separate drive shafts coming from the transfer case that would connect one to each of the rear drive axles. Thus not limiting the travel of either drive shaft.
I\'d also thought of having the third axle be a steering axle working with the front axle to maneuver. But I\'m concerned with the abuse that the rear axle steering linkage would endure from the strain of a climb.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
interesting ideas!

:welcome:

itjustmeD

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
Thanks Wingman. Sweet rig!

The Jeep that I\'m looking to get is a 4 door 6cyl 4.0 H.O. auto drive-line. What does \'H.O. auto drive-line\' mean?

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
High Output

What are the specs/price mileage on the jeep you are looking at?

We can offer some suggestions if it is a good price, year, good starting project, etc.

itjustmeD

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
High output is good start to any project! :D I don\'t know much about it yet. I haven\'t seen it yet, I\'m having a hard time getting a ride to go see it. I\'m in Angola & it\'s in Springville. \'92 Jeep Cherokee 4 door 6cyl 4.0 H.O. \"auto drive-line works great body is pretty bad\". It has almost new 235 snow tires all around. The guy I\'m buying it from doesn\'t know a lot bout it either; he bought it from a long time friend of his. He did say that it\'s mechanically in good shape, will start right up, drive, shift & go into 4x4 all with no prob. The only bad it\'s  missing it\'s rear bumper & the body is pretty well rusted. I\'ll try posting the pics that I have of it. It hit a dear but only broke the one turn light. It has a home made metal push guard the previous owner put on when he took both bumper off. The current owner is going to talk to his friend & find out more about it today. I don\'t know what the mileage is. The price - $350

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
There are other XJ guys who can chime in about the concerns of unit body construction and where to look for problems.  Keep us posted.

jeepfd16

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »
Welcome good luck.

itjustmeD

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
Are there any XJ guys out there would be willing to to chime in. I\'d really appreciate any help that they would be willing to offer, Also if any of them happen to have a rear bumper, stock or other. If any one has a front one to? I\'m not sure if the push bar that\'s on the front now would be enough (legally) Don\'t need any hassling by the cops.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
Looks pretty rough, but the price is good for a runner.

What are your plans for it?
Daily Driver?
Wheeler only?
Show vehicle?

Are you planning to fix the rust? It seems extensive, and would be a lot of work, but, if the rust is not an issue, than this could be a good fit for you.

itjustmeD

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
First off it\'ll be my daily driver (it\'ll b my only vehicle) cuz quite frankly I\'ve gotta stretch (as in rent money is getting used to pay for it) even just to buy the thing. But as my fiancee & I work & improve our finances it\'ll become a on/off (probably more off) :D road champ that my daughter\'ll enjoy too! I\'m not interested in making a pretty show piece but I probably will fix some of the rust (like the sharp pieces) probably not spots like the surface rust though. So long as it doesn\'t pose a danger or significant problem; I like the rust, gives a vehicle character.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1717.0