http://www.treadlightly.org/
Newbie of the newnies

Author Topic: Newbie of the newnies  (Read 21948 times)

itjustmeD

Re: Newbie of the newnies
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
I\'d actually like it to end up looking something like this pic that I found. With some other additions, like:

a pair of those disappearing step rails. (Make it easier to get into. Gotta make the fiancee happy), Wheel well flares, Skid plates, air compressor, air tanks, & air tool set all on board, additional rear & side lighting, small roof rack, Roof top tent & I\'ll probably think of other stuff later. ;D

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
if thats what the rockers and fenders look like i\'d hate to see what the floorpans look like under the carpet,and more than likely theres a weekspot in the unibody too if the cancer is that bad.if it were me i\'d keep looking

itjustmeD

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
What else should I look for besides the floor panels & the uni-body when I check it out?

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
mostly front end stuff,if you can get the tires off the ground shake the tire if theres any vertical movement the ball joints could be bad,even worse wheel bearings they are not cheap.grap the driveshafts and axle shafts if theres any play in those the ujoints are probably bad.check for any unibody cracks where the steering box mounts thats a common spot

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
Does anyone live near springville?

Maybe one of us could go look at the jeep when Danon goes to see it.

itjustmeD

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »
I would defiantly appreciate the help & be quite grateful. I\'ve taught myself some stuff, but I\'m far an expert & am always happy to get help & learn.

MadMike454

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 06:32:36 AM »
I recently went looking for 4x4s to build from and honestly from the looks of things $350 bucks that jeep would be a good weekend wheeler I honestly wouldnt put the money into it if it is rusted as bas as it looks. Im going to give you advice that was given to me save a litttle more money and buy something that needs less work. even if you look in the $1500 range more likely than not youll find someting better suited to build. look on craigslist and the saturday super ads i still find deals there. I got a k5 blazer for $500 that is in decent shape but its gonna be my driveway plow truck. I guess my bottom line is keep looking around $350 bucks is cheap but it makes you think why so cheap? because of the rust and god knows what else

itjustmeD

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Ya I know, a $350 vehicle is a $350 vehicle but I\'m not in a position to save anymore. We need a vehicle, I can\'t get to my doctors appointments, my daughter to her doctors & my fiancee can\'t get to her job to work the shifts that she suppose to. Where worried, how long are they going to keep a person on that can\'t work the shifts, how long before they get fed up & find someone that can. To be honest were about a month from getting our utilities shut off. We NEED a vehicle! I don\'t care what but we need something. Sadly enough we can\'t really even afford this $350. But I don\'t see any other way to even stay afloat let alone starting to get ahead. Any who. Sorry. I know it\'s just life.

Like the song says: \"sounds like life to me\"

Thanks for advice if I do get it I\'ll just plan on getting something better when were able & then spend the money & do the work to that one. This one can be my practice Jeep. :D

MadMike454

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
so your looking for something cheap and preferably 4 wheel drive?

MadMike454

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »
theres a 92 ford explorer on craigslist for $400 it needs brake work but its decent.

sale-j6xyn-1584507646@craigslist.org

that is the link to it for pictures

texas283@yahoo.com
and thats the guys email whos sellin it

itjustmeD

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
Hay Mad Mike, Thanks! but which Craigslist are you looking on? I couldn\'t find a 92 Ford Explorer on the Rochester, Buffalo or chautauqua sites. I did however email the 2 email addresses that you posted. Honestly I don\'t care what it is or what it looks like car, truck, or horse & buggy (kidding). Runs, legal to drive on the street & safe for my daughter to be in honestly that\'s my criteria. As far as it being 4x4, ya I\'d be happy as a pig in (you know what) n I\'d be grinning ear to ear; but it\'s not what I\'d want it\'s what my family needs. They just need something that\'ll help get us out of this hole that we\'re quickly sinking into. O\' I forgot it does need to be automatic, my girl doesn\'t know how to drive a stick. I tried teaching her once on my old car, n ya, that didn\'t go well.

& honestly, I can\'t begin to express how much it means to me you all being so nice & trying so hard to help a guy that you don\'t know but from few emails.

From all of us thank you!

itjustmeD

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
I don\'t suppose someone out there might have something that they might be willing to part with for less then what they might have been originally where asking? I\'ve only got $400 plus hopefully enough extra to register & insure it.

I\'m not picky, I\'d love a 4x4 but it\'s not a prerequisite, just something reliable, that\'s an automatic, that can help get me & my family where we need to go so we can finally get out of this dam sink hole.

If it\'ll help, I\'ll even sign paperwork of a legal debt to the seller for the balance.

MadMike454

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
that explorer was on rochester craigslist but i will keep my eyes open for any deals.

MadMike454

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
buffalo craigslist theres a 91 chevy pickup for $650 in lockport or best offer its an extended cab 2wd
91 Chevy 1500. 2WD with a 305. Rebuilt 700R4 with 65k miles on it. Engine out of a newer 1500, has 80k miles on it. truck has 230k on it. new brake calipers, wheel cylinders, pads and lines. call or text 716-725-1518 theres pics of it on the listing it looks solid and if you throw some decent tires on it it should handle some puddle jumpin

MadMike454

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »
87 jeep cherokee $500 in lyons,ny moto_1919@yahoo.com email for more info

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon, all wheel drive, runs and drives good. Needs a new windshield $550.00 or B/O 585-286-0628 Canandaigua

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1584507646.html
thats for the 92 explorer but i just looked its a 5spd

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1717.15