http://www.treadlightly.org/
I think I broke it. U-Joint

Author Topic: I think I broke it. U-Joint  (Read 14295 times)

Offline xjh3

Re: I think I broke it. U-Joint
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
Unit bearings and ball joints would also cause the ears to "wobble" too I suppose. Jack up the wheel, grab at "10 and 2 o'clock" and try to shake it in and out. If there is any movement or clunking, that's bad.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
Mechanic took a look and agreed that it is a grease fitting that shouldn't be there. He hasn't done any work there so this must predate my purchase of the vehicle. As to why it started yesterday... who knows.

I did do the tire pull test and there is no play. As a matter of fact when the tire is not loaded it does not hit the fitting. Not sure that gives me a warm and fuzzy, but it is what it is.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
if load to tire changes it, you have a bad unit bearing or loose unit bearing nut
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
I'll give it another look.

I did not have the noise this morning on the drive to the office. Same tires as yesterday. in looking at the u joint area there does seem to be more clearance. Which would mean that either the axle is moving or the fitting dropped back into place.

Uncertainty is a PITA.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
the zerk (or the plug) is a threaded fitting. It won't "drop" - it'll wear down or shear off, though.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
That just killed my warm and fuzzy feeling.

So basically the fact I now have space between the axle ears and the zerk means things are floating around. Which means that I may be the guy sitting on the side of the road with only three wheels attached. While humorous to think about, I don't think it would be a fun experience.

Offline xjh3

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
Can you move the shaft/ears around by hand?

Can you use a jack and watch for anything moving when weight is taken on/off the tire?
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Spencer

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
is this your dd?

do i remember correct that you live in Williamson? I'm in walworth if you want to bring it by tonight we could look at it.

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
'tis my daily driver and has been driven to the office today.

I'm actually in Palmyra but drive through Walworth on my way home (and by through I mean I get to stop at that stupid light and wait for nothing to cross the road that single light is red). I may take you up on the offer. What time is good for you?

xjh3: when raising the axle I see nothing move. I have a great view as my bottle jack has a short handle and I'm staring right the sucker when it goes up. Lowering is harder to see. I have a slight fear of lowering the vehicle while I'm under it. I was going to check here in the parking lot but security got their shorts in a bunch. I'll let you know what I see when I get it of the ground this evening.

Offline Spencer

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
anytime after 6.
i'll pm you my cell number and address

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
So I went over everything.

No play in wheels.
No rotational noise from wheel (diff was audible when changing rotational direction)
Zerk fittings on BOTH sides.
Manual rotation was very smooth on both sides.
Same clearance on both sides.
I did find a pile of schmutz around the zerk and axle ears on the noise side.
Both nut covers are in place with pins retainer pins in place.
Using a simple gage (piece of wood) the gap between inner axel ear and zerk did NOT change from loaded to no load to loaded on the noisy side.
The gap on the quiet side is slightly larger than on the noisy side.

At this point I don't think there is a problem.

Spencer I don't want to waste your time. I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you for the offer.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3305.15