http://www.sharetrails.org
Tire width for daily drive vs ... fun

Author Topic: Tire width for daily drive vs ... fun  (Read 6255 times)

Offline jaysenodell

« on: June 11, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
My TJ is a daily driver. The "normal" tires for every day are 30x9.5x15. After the 101 hooked the family we are starting to get setup for more fun. For the 101 I used my spare 33x12.5x15 that came with the TJ when I bought it. Problem is that I only have 8 rims between the two sets.

So the question is, for daily drive in the winter (snow/ice), should I hang on to the 30x9.5s (I have 4 mounted and 2 spares all new)?

My initial thought is that I will get better traction through increased down force (smaller contact area). Just looking for folks with actual experience to set me straight. 
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline Spencer

Re: Tire width for daily drive vs ... fun
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
what gears do you have? did you find it slow with the 33s on? thats something else to consider.

I DDed my ZJ on 31x10.5 KM2s and 33x12.5 TSLs

I would recommend a 32" AT

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »
I don't know what the gear ratio is. We bought the TJ in April with no real idea if we would even like off road. The jeep was set up but we just liked the price and wanted a jeep. Call it a "mid life crisis" that worked out well. How would I tell what is in there now?

Slow is relative. I didn't mind the 33s. I'm a bit of a granny driver, no rush and all the time in the world. I did find that the speedo was 5mph slow and the RPM were much lower for the given speed. That would seem to indicate too high a ratio resulting in engine stress. I assume I will need to change something but I can do the head math for now.

I'm actually more concerned about winter snow/ice and width. Physics would say "more pressure on a small contact patch provides more traction". But the real world and physics are often at odds with each other. are 12.5s safe for winter driving on surfaced roads?
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »
You just learn to drive within the tires limits,I have 33s Mickey Thompson mtz and drive in the winter with no problems. Express way and around town driving. I have 4.10 gears in my tj. A good allterrain might be a more practical for for now with just getting into off-roading. I know a lot of people swear by wildpeak and the bfg allterrains

Offline etk300ex

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:22:06 AM »
I had 325/60/18 terra grapplers on my truck for a few years, it was fantastic in snow, no weight either
06 Frontier 4x4
03 Ram CCLB 4x4
84 Viking truck camper
92 Toyota Truggy gone
Mountain bikes, it's cheaper and smaller

fasteddie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
to answer your question yes the 9.5 would give better traction for winter driving but you can learn to drive on the wider tire. the wider tire will want to wander in slush. always ran 10.5"s when plowing.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3249.0