http://www.treadlightly.org/
getting started...?

Author Topic: getting started...?  (Read 14217 times)

Raddadd

getting started...?
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »
Hello All,
Another future off roader is looking to join the ranks.I have done alot of minor off roading in the years from our hunting adventures and trianing my dogs. Not a pro by any means.
I recently got a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited that I want to learn how to use to its max abilities. Right now its very clean and needs some \"scars\" and mud.
I\'m not sure what I need or how to set it up for good off roadin....I need to learn from you guys/gals.
Any thoughts where to start ?
I will attend the meeting on the 29th so maybe I can meet some of you and learn more.
Please feel free to share your thoughts !
Thanks all....!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: what do I need to get started...?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »
Welcome!

Offline etk300ex

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Welcome!

All depends on what type of off roading you want to get into and how much do you want to spend???  Lift, tires, and lockers is always a good place to start :)

06 Frontier 4x4
03 Ram CCLB 4x4
84 Viking truck camper
92 Toyota Truggy gone
Mountain bikes, it's cheaper and smaller

Raddadd

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »
I\'d like to try it all..I\'m really drawn to crawling..at least what the Jeep is capaple of and go from there.
Tires are on top of the list. I\'m currently looking for a back up set to what I have.
I heard and read a bit about lockers. What works best... electric lockers or pneumatic ? Any brands a fav amongst the club? So much stuff one can read but it\'s always a plus to hear from real experience.
Attached r a couple photos of my new toy. Got her in \"first mud\" at the farm on Friday night...not much though....whimpy tires didn\'t allow for much. Should be fun to watch her grow in the next years.
Thanks for the response...I appreciate the feedback.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: getting started...?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
Selectable lockers are nice, but many of us (myself included) have stuck with the simple automatic lockers or welding diffs.

A favorite automatic type locker is the Aussie Locker.  I honestly think it\'s the best out there, and that has nothing to do with the owner being in the club, it has to do with their track record of stunning reliability!

www.aussielocker.com
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Raddadd

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Mike-
Should I go both front and back or just front??
Do you think they will work well with more on road than off road use? Any concerns with them in your \"every day vehicle\"? It would be real nice to have something like that and not worry when you hit the trails.....no switchs ,cables and such thats cool.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
Different schools of thought on front vs. rear.  I opted for the rear in previous Jeeps because I was leary of the effect of a front locker in the snow without lockout hubs.  Some here have done it and report no issues.

Lockers will be a great advantage off road but they will also get you farther into \"stuck\" where cables, straps, and winchs will become necessary.  It all comes in due time.  That\'s why you wheel with friends!   ;-)  

The automatic locker is nice because you don\'t have to worry about wires and cables.  There are times when I like my selectable because I can unlock it and pretend to keep things from binding up and breaking.

Raddadd

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:02 PM »
I like the idea of avoiding problems by using a selectable locker....if its less wear and worry for my (currently) limited use that sounds like a safe call.

Wow a lot to do !

Any thoughts out there on a \"good\" yet inexpensive lift/suspension kit ? Seems I have to get that straight BEFORE I invest money in tires.

Thanks again!

Offline etk300ex

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
what you really need to do is take it out and wheel it a couple times and figure out where you want to head from there :-D
06 Frontier 4x4
03 Ram CCLB 4x4
84 Viking truck camper
92 Toyota Truggy gone
Mountain bikes, it's cheaper and smaller

Raddadd

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »
Your right and I have....after years of running through corn fields ( setting decoys and working dogs),through the woods on logging trails (hunting ) and getting muddy when possible (light off-roading I call it) I have desired a 4x4 that had the abilites to \"take it to the next level\" and do what you guys are in to. The way the rigs work the rocks and tuff terrian is awesome. And I always wanted to \"play\" but not many options then. The Dodge was getting old and I have always loved Jeeps....so here I am and now I\'d like to build this thing and have some fun......call it my mid-life crisis.

I know I want a lift kit to run 35\'s, a suspension/shocks
(looked at a Krawlwer RKJK35El Entry Level, for starters )Lockers, new bumpers and winch. ( that will put me in debt for awhile ).

I DONT know is what brands are proven and what set ups work best for a \"every day\" Jeep. So I hope that I can get some education and feedback / input to help me make good desions.( I\'d like it to last) Then you guys won\'t have bust my chops for having some cheap set up but can bust on me for the rookie drivin skills.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
Winch and bumpers can come later.  As long as your wheeling with friends, someone will be there to haul your stuck pile out.  Concentrate on the lift, tires, and one locker.  You don\'t need much lift to fit 35s on a JK.  I think that\'ll give you the most bang for your buck.

Raddadd

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
.....that sounds like the best plan !

Offline jACeL86

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
If you\'re set on doing fenders and bumpers quickly and wanna avoid the lift now (low center of gravity) Metal Cloak and a few other companies make high clearance fenders and corner guards. A tj can fit 35\'s at stock height with these fenders, not quite sure what jk\'s could stuff, but that\'s another option for you. When you start checking for tires, drop me a line. I may be able to save you a few bucks!
'06 Rubicon, 5.5"RE tri-rear, 37" Trxus, Metal Cloak gear

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
My personal vote is auto-locker in the rear, selectable in the front (if/when you can afford it).  I drove a CJ and a TJ with an auto-locker in the rear for years.  They both did a great job!  If you are going selectable for the front, you might as well do both, if they are air-activated like ARB.  But start with your lift and tires.  A serious set of tires will be a vast improvement.

Have a build plan and stick to it.

Raddadd

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Yes I agree...I\'m gonna stay focused on lift and tires.

That 3.5\" Krawler I mentioned before seems like a good start.....any thoughts on thier kits? Seems I can upgrade as needed with it. I would need shocks but not too sure.

I like the BFG tires...they seem to give you the most \"bang for your buck\".

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2348.0