https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
getting started...?

Author Topic: getting started...?  (Read 14218 times)

Dragon

Re: getting started...?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
I\'m currently running a TeraFlex 2.5\" spacer lift in my 2007 2-door JK.  The JK style can handle 33\" tires stock (with a little rubbing at full flex) or 35\" with a small lift.

My lift only cost me approx. $350, and that is because I added the 4-door hardtop/trailer package springs to give an additional .5\" (so total about 3\" lift).  This easily clears my 33\" Coopers, and I could go up to 35\" without a problem.

If you\'re looking for a tire that can get you through the daily grind, and still perform offroad, I would recommend the Cooper Discoverer STT.  I\'ve been VERY impressed by their capabilities, and the only downside I\'ve read is that they chunk on hot dry rock crawling (which we don\'t get much of in NY).

If you want info on JK mods, I highly recommend perusing jkowners.com.   There are a lot of friendly and helpful people over there.

i also have an Aussie Locker in the front diff.  It has drastically improved the offroad capabilities of the stock JK, and I have not noticed any issues with handling in the winter.  in 4x4, there might be a slight hint of understeer, but I\'m aware of the possibility and compensate for it.

I\'d put the selectable in the rear as that diff is running all the time.

Here\'s how it sits now.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ripclaw/DCP_1944-1024.jpg

Raddadd

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
Wow ...your right, that website for JK owners is awesome...alot of info.

Just got good news that some of you might have known....I can lift the JK without voiding the warranty ! And there is a list of other things also.....yea!

Anyone interested in helping a newbee with a project???  haha....I hear it takes about 4-5 hours to set up .....is this true???

Dragon

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
it took my friend and I about 4 hours to lift my Jeep, and that was on jack stands in my driveway.
These JKs are real easy to work on.
:)

Don\'t forget to straighten out your steering wheel when you are done lifting.   the anti-skid crap will go crazy if the steering wheel is off center.

Raddadd

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
Nice...thats what I\'ve been hearing.....very easy to work on.
Well sometime this year spring will come to Rochester and I can get outside and get this done.....with no garage or driveway I\'ll be at my brothers house. Looks like beer and pizza Saturday!

Raddadd

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
well maybe mudding will be something we should look at also!!!!!....sure did have fun on the field roads at the farm!
Tires are a must for this ...as I had to be sure to keep moving at all times.....got a lttle thick.

You all have a GREAT sport/hobby here and too bad many are missing out on it! I feel like a junkie who wants more!

Raddadd

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
and....... an important \"JEEP\" lesson in the woods.....

tryin to back up over a log....engine was boggin and I realized I was in 4 Hi ( I know now I should have entered the woods in low gear )...couldn\'t get to low so I had to change the line to make a little run at it....and you know it !   Wola....first (baby) scar ! didnt see that 50\' hemlock standing there.....ahh the lessons learned.

Is that pine bark still on the bumper???...we bounced right of it... there was a nice plastic plate holder that quickly went into about 6 pieces.Dented in the corner and chipped paint...the bumper has a little wrinkle in it..No other damage.

.....and yea those tubular side steps gotta go! if it was a rock instead of a old tree I was crawlin over they would have been ripped right off!!!

Dragon

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Wow.  Any pics of the damage?
I\'ve dented my skidplate going over a submerged log, and scuffed my windshield frame on tree branches, but no major damage (yet).
I plan on a few changes once the money rolls in.
Riverraider crusher corners in the back:

Rugged Ridge rock sliders:

ANd possibly the addition of the pre-runner for my XHD front bumper:

Or I can just save my money for gas.   :(

Raddadd

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
yea I\'m still waiting to get the lift kit....gonna go with Skyjacker 2.5\" w/shocks.Wanna grab the sway disco also.
I\'m going with Black Rock Steel 16X8 (4.25 BS)Do you see a problem with going to a 16\" wheel ? I know without the tire package it comes with 16\" but not sure if there will be any problems with that.
Found a good price on BFG KM2 285/75R16 @ Vividracing, $1130 for 5 tires....plus ....plus ofcourse.

Photo of the Jeep and its customized rear corner.
Got a new plate holder and the dealer is gonna give me a \"freebee\" fix er up on the paint chip.The bumper will keep the wrinkle...untill I replace it someday.

If I don\'t get the lift and tires in time for 4x4 101 how will it do at Whispering Pines ? Am I in for a surprise?

Look forward to meeting you all Tuesday night!  

Dragon

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
I don\'t know of any JK with less than 16\'s from the factory.
Some people have put 15\'s on them, but it usually requires grinding the calipers a bit.

the 16x8 with 4.25\" bs should fit just fine.

Raddadd

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
yea! Just ordered my BFG KM2\'s...should have em by Monday. I got some Pro Comps series 7089 wheels also.
Tonight we order the Tera Flex 2.5 lift w/ shocks and need to get a locker from Aussie.
Looks like stage one of my work will be done in time for Whispering Pines. Sweet ! I get to play with new gear!!!!

Dragon

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
i can tell you from experience, you are going to have a FUN ride!

Raddadd

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
wow...I\'m stoked !   cant wait to get at it..............

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2348.15