https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
XJ Build

Author Topic: XJ Build  (Read 77227 times)

Offline xjh3

Re: XJ Build
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
Nevermind on the Aussie thing, I don\'t think I was looking when I switched sides.

Front end is complete minus wheels and gear oil.

8.8 is in. Need to fab new u-bolt plates though. I did notice while sliding the two axles around on the floor that the 8.8 is significantly heavier than the 8.25. Pinion angle looks almost perfect and driveshaft is still just the right length. Both things I was a little worried about. Need to sort out e-brake and hydraulic brake lines this week. Decided to replace my crusted rear steel line all the way back.

Hoping to test drive this coming weekend... Can\'t wait.

I\'ll take pics tomorrow, I was too tired today.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »
Here are some more pics. Got the u-bolt plates fabbed up. I threw in some pics of the shear, brake, and ironworker (100 ton punch) I used at work to make the plates as well as many other things. Some big, old, cool stuff. The ironworker used to run off the leather belts in the old factories a hundred years ago. Now a 3 phase motor runs the leather belt that runs it. Haha

All I need to do at this point is get the brake lines in and she\'s ready to go. Should have it driving around this weekend.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
Also gotta paint the calipers black, not diggin the orange/green combo.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline jACeL86

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
I thought you might be re-naming the project to some Halloween themed thing :-p
'06 Rubicon, 5.5"RE tri-rear, 37" Trxus, Metal Cloak gear

Offline xjh3

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »
Drove it back home to Sodus tonight from Rochester. No wobbles, shakes, or anything. Ditching the drop brackets definitely affected the ride though. Aussie seemed to be locking up in the snow in the parking lot. The only time I even faintly noticed the welded rear on the road was making a u-turn.

Last night I broke the hood release cable. Fortunately, as the little handle broke off it still released the hood, and Autozone had one in stock. Both seemed like a miracle to me.

I think I need to bleed the brakes again, and I\'m probably going to re-adjust my trackbar but overall it seems good.

Here\'s a pic just cuz I\'m feeling somewhat accomplished, although it really looks no different than when I started. Glad to have my Jeep back!!!
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
maybe whispering pines next weekend?
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline xjh3

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
Absolutely. I\'m dying to go wheeling. I\'d like it to get a good thrashing once to make sure everything\'s alright before I make the trek to Rausch.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
 :chug:

Offline xjh3

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Gotta work all weekend.  :angry::angry::angry:

One of my rear shocks is dented and bottoms out rather abruptly on decent bumps. Got two ordered and was gonna put them on Friday night for WP... Oh well.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
Turns out my shocks have been bottoming out because the mounts on my 8.8 are too high. As soon as I fab up some new mounts to attach lower, I\'ll be ready for the trails.

The next project I\'d like to tackle is on board air using the AC compressor. I\'d like to be able to air down whenever and wherever. I\'ve compiled a parts list and I don\'t think it should be too hard or expensive. I plan to use the passenger\'s side rocker tube as a tank to save interior space.

I found that S & W cages makes a pre-bent XJ kit for $300. I would like to do this and unibody stiffeners and tie them together when I rip out my interior to fix and Rhino Line my floor.

I also read an article about an on-board welder kit you can buy in Petersen\'s. Thought it was pretty awesome, did some research and found it wouldn\'t be too hard or expensive to make my own, that\'s on the list too.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
Went to Whispering Pines today. Beautiful day and beautiful conditions. First time out without open diffs and it was amazing. It was incredible to feel it pull up all the hill climbs and through all the drifts I know  it never would have before.

At one point I broke ice going through a water hole. My buddy in his YJ attempted it and got stuck. I tried to free him, only to dig 4 nice ruts for myself. He winched me back off them so I could get some momentum and drive back over them. I got a little over zealous with the momentum. After front driveshaft removal, 2wd journey back to the road, and a AAA call, my Jeep is back in Rochester with one mangled upper control arm and one mangled upper control arm mount and waaaayy too much castor.

I figure I can either build a long-arm setup now, or get some beefy upper control arms. I also haven\'t ruled out an aftermarket long arm upgrade kit, especially a quality used one. I want to build a long arm, but also wanna get back to wheeling since I just got it back together!

Mulling over all my options.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
oops! fragile control arms and mounts suck!!
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
ive done oba and welder setups before, its not too bad.

recomend the big york over converting an AC pump.  it can be done though.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline xjh3

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »
I\'ve done some research and I think I have a plan. I really liked my drop brackets because they flexed and rode great, but they gave awful ground clearance. Raising the mounting points on the axle does the same thing and improves clearance.

Clayton makes an entire new axle bracket kit that does that for $469. They sell just the upper control arm mount part for $155, which includes the Johnny Joints that press in. I\'ll need to weld on raised lower arm mounts and fab new upper arms, no big deal.

So for about $200, I\'ll get improved ride, flex, and ground clearance and most importantly bulletproof mounts that will make a great mounting point for a long arm in the future.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Stock axle-side LCA mounts are notoriously weak, especially when subjected to the bashing they get in the rocks.  Good place to upgrade!

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2204.45