http://www.sharetrails.org
XJ Build

Author Topic: XJ Build  (Read 76468 times)

Offline xjh3

Re: XJ Build
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
I guess for that price I\'d be willing to chaulk it up to kinda of an experiment. I\'m sure I could sell it for about the same if it sucks.

My biggest concern is street driving obviously. It\'s not my DD, but I don\'t have a trailer so it has to get driven to trails (4.5 hrs to Rausch!)

Am I just kinda being a pussy? Haha
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
pretty muck j/k, like i said mikemike drives the dak to and from rausch with a welded rear before his trailer

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
welded is fine on the street, and will be just the same as an aussie in the snow :)

572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline xjh3

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »
The guy wouldn\'t budge from $175, it\'s mine now though.

I\'ve got my Jeep up in our spare bay at my work to work on my list:

-Ditching control arm drop brackets for RE Superflex short arms I bought and rebuilt (not long arms yet, but I need the clearance for now)

-Square tube rocker panel replacements. They were just about rotted through anyway and Rausch finished them off.

-New front ball joints, wheel u-joints, and Aussie

-8.8 install :)

I\'m excited. I\'ll get pics up soon.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Nick

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I have been running my ZJ on 35\'s locked front and rear for about 2 years now with great luck with the D30. As long as you are gentle and dont get to crazy with the throttle you will be fine. In my opinion the jump from 33\'s to 35\'s is a relativly big jump in regards to modification. The stuff that should be changed is your gearing should be a min of 4.10 you will need upgraded steering all spare axle parts and the list goes on. With 33\'s you can kinda skirt by on mostly stock parts but once you are on 35\'s it really starts adding up in what you have to change.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »
good deal on the 8.8
keep us updated!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline Spencer

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »
Picked up his 8.8 yesterday. thought you guys would like to see it. that thing is BEEF!!

Trying to upload the pic but it says \"Protector detects attacking action\". must be doing something wrong

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/KingTheZJ/Jeep%20Stuff/?action=view¤t=88.jpg

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
thats a screaming deal for a bolt in 8.8, youd pay 125 -150 just for the axle at a jy, that ujoint adapter on the pinion is a $30 part itself, is that a riddler cover or just a stock cover painted green?

Offline xjh3

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »
The guy told me it was a Ruff Stuff cover! $130 new. I\'m glad you guys talked me into it, the more time goes on, the more I realize how much I lucked out!!

I worked all day today. Got the control arm drop brackets out, had to go get new bolts, then fought to get all the arms back in. I got 3 in pretty quick, but couldn\'t get the last upper. Probably should have left the lowers for last. I was tired and without food so I called it a night.

I have sort of a question for NY unibody Jeep people. Every time I get underneath my Jeep it seems like I notice something else that looks like its about to rot through. I replaced a section of the unibody rail this summer where it was rotted by where the hitch was mounted and need to do the floors in the spring. I cut out my rockers and found some nice burrowing rust in front of the back wheel, kinda in the vicinity of the front leaf spring mount. Short of cutting it out and replacing it, (which given the junction of pinch seams, floor board and suspension mount would be daunting at best) what can be done? wire wheel and self etching primer? I\'m concerned, but I feel like half my Jeep could use getting cut out and replaced!
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
I have learned that when you receive that error message, try changing the file name.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
The file name is exactly it.  Avoid any special characters at all, I think even hyphens make it angry.

rot is a way of life here.  I usually close my eyes and pretend it\'s fine :(
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline xjh3

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Got some stuff done this week.

RE Suplerflex arms are in.

While I had the front suspension apart, I remembered that my trackbar mount kinda sucked. I had a Teraflex trackbar that had the ball joint on the frame end. Earlier this fall I cut it off and welded in a Ballistic Fab joint and modified the stock bracket for double shear. It only kinda lined up right and worked OK. I decided I would just put the mount over the axle (where it should be anyway). I shortened the other end of the trackbar. I found that 1 1/2\" sched 80 had the perfect ID for the poly axle end bushing to go in and used that. I wasn\'t planning on doing this at all but it was easy and I\'m glad I did it. I had a small but noticeable amount of bumpsteer and it looks to me like this should come pretty close to eliminating it.

Spencer dropped off my 8.8 today. Super excited.

The tube for my rocker panels showed up yesterday, I\'m hoping to work on that Sunday maybe.

Ball joints, u-joints, and Aussie should be in next week.

Good thing I\'ve had a bunch of overtime this month!!!
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 09:35:12 AM »
I just realized there was a dedicated \'Project Builds\' thread... Smike or Mindless, feel free to move this.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Nick

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »
That is a score on the axle.

You should be careful with moving the tracbar mounts around with stock steering. If you get the tracbar and drag link out of parallel you will get death wobble. So if you have it all together and randomly now you have it, it is most likely that.

Offline xjh3

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
Never had any death wobble ever, but I did have some noticeable bump steer. I took some measurements from the starting and ending points of the steering and trackbar and compared the slopes and they should be closer to parallel now than they were with the trackbar in the stock location.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2204.15