http://www.4wd.com
AMC 360 Rebuld

Author Topic: AMC 360 Rebuld  (Read 17837 times)

gmshades

AMC 360 Rebuld
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
Thanks to selling some stuff on ebay, the money is coming in to finally get this motor worked on!

I\'m picking up the heads on Saturday. I\'ll post pics when I get them. The heads look brand new! He reseated the valves, put new valve seals in, resurfaced the mating surfaces, and repaired one of the exhaust holes. It actually had a broken tap in it. Danny in Honeoye is doing the work.

I\'ll be dropping off the block and anything else he wants to get going on the block.

I\'ve been fighting over what parts to go with for reassembly. So far, I\'ve done my shopping at Summit Racing, and have a wish list:

SUM-K8600: Summit Racing Camshaft and Lifter Set

EDL-2131: Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold.

FEL-KS2001: Fel-Pro Gasket Set

FEL-MS96011: Fel-Pro Valley Pan Gasket

I think I\'m going to wait til its built to see if the stock push rods will work. Buying new ones either way.

Anyone else do some motor work that wants to chime in? I\'m all ears. Should be one heck of a motor when I\'m done.

Camo1Ton

Re: AMC 360 Rebuld
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »
I\'m interested in this buildup. I\'m running a cj7 with a 360 that I just bought. Runs ok so far but dosen\'t seem to have the nuts of a 350. One change I hear that is an upgrade is modern rockers. The originals tend to want to twist back and forth. this weekend I\'m pulling my covers to see what mine look like. Keep us informed.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
I HAVE THE SAME MOTOR IN MY CJ!!!

It\'s a brute!! Sounds grumbly and pumps tons of power!

**** I\'m selling my Holly 2D Projection really cheap. The (new) computer is less than a year old, as well as the fuel pump. (the old computer got wet, and the fuel pump is new because we couldn\'t figure out a problem, and the fuel pump wasn\'t it). I have all the wiring diagrams and it is already set up for a 360. MAKE AN OFFER!!

I\'m also selling my 15 Gal. RCI fuel cell, connectors (all nice summitt anodized aluminum)and hoses (if you want them). MAKE AN OFFER!!!

I have the Edelbrock intake on mine, but the motor really doesn\'t need much, it\'s a beast!!! I\'m only geeking out on the motor because I don\'t see many of them, and I absolutely love it!!

Oh, and I\'m switching to propane for environmental reasons and peer pressure. My CJ on 36\'s with very good gearing (for wheeling, not street) got 18MPG with the projection.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
Camo - are you still carb?

I thought I asked you on the Poker Run if you had a V8? I thought you said no.  :-?

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
from the research ive done, one of the biggest upgrades to amc 360 is the ignition. DUI was a brand everyone seems to use.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
my advice is dont cheap out and dont try to learn as you build your first motor.  Pay someone that knows what they are doing to do it!

Im still fighting costly learning experiences with my small block build!
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Camo1Ton

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »
Yes, I\'m a 360 on a carb. I\'m trying to remember back to the days when I last had a carb engine so as to get the 360 running best. Injection and diesels the last 20 or so years. Air fuel spark exhaust, fine tune each and its all good.

gmshades

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

CoraC143 wrote:
I HAVE THE SAME MOTOR IN MY CJ!!!

It\'s a brute!! Sounds grumbly and pumps tons of power!

**** I\'m selling my Holly 2D Projection really cheap. The (new) computer is less than a year old, as well as the fuel pump. (the old computer got wet, and the fuel pump is new because we couldn\'t figure out a problem, and the fuel pump wasn\'t it). I have all the wiring diagrams and it is already set up for a 360. MAKE AN OFFER!!

I\'m also selling my 15 Gal. RCI fuel cell, connectors (all nice summitt anodized aluminum)and hoses (if you want them). MAKE AN OFFER!!!

I have the Edelbrock intake on mine, but the motor really doesn\'t need much, it\'s a beast!!! I\'m only geeking out on the motor because I don\'t see many of them, and I absolutely love it!!

Oh, and I\'m switching to propane for environmental reasons and peer pressure. My CJ on 36\'s with very good gearing (for wheeling, not street) got 18MPG with the projection.

Man, I wish I had the money in the budget for it. I don\'t even know what my total budget is on the motor. I was going to come on here and ask if anyone had a 600cfm 4-barrel carb collecting dust.

As mentioned, here are pictures of one of the heads. I\'ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Camo1Ton

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »
NICE

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »
Extra-cool because they are on the end table in the living room!

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 06:43:39 AM »
Lookin good!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
i have a holly 650 sitting i bought new and ran on the scrambler for 6 months.  

im not going to lie, i had alot of issues wheeling with this carb, but on the street it was good.  

i didnt have the patience or know how to get tuned right.  also had some ignition problems at the time that didnt help.  
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

gmshades

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:44:35 PM »
Figure I would give an update.

The block has been bored .040 over. Crankshaft is .010 under and on its way back to the shop. All pistons, rings, and bearings are ordered.

I\'m having a hard time about my timing cover. Last year my oil pressure was perfect. But, the oil pump cavity has some scratches in it. I think this is normal wear and tear, and it should be fine for now. I\'d hate to spend money where its not needed at this time. I will be getting new pump gears. Any thoughts?

Anyone know the special \"assembly lube\" they always use on horsepower tv when they build a motor? I\'m thinking of the thick stuff they put on the camshaft.

As soon as I have more pictures I\'ll post them up.

Glenn

Offline rejeep

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
its called camshaft breaking lube..
normally comes with the camshaft..

call Fermwood..
I just threw away what I had left of my tub.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1797.0