http://www.4wd.com
AMC 360 Rebuld

Author Topic: AMC 360 Rebuld  (Read 17660 times)

Offline rejeep

Re: AMC 360 Rebuld
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
I would also suggest you use a quality break in oil with lots of Zinc.. (ZDDP)
I use Brad Penn 30 wt break in oil all the time actually..
DO NOT USE SYN!!!!

you will ruin your camshaft if you dont.

Camo1Ton

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
I don\'t know if you have checked it out yet, but look into oil pressure issues of the amc 360. I have heard around that the scratches are not always the problem with pressure. Look into the external oiling setup that runs in the lifter valley. A drilled hole, some copper tube and fittings. Might be some good insurance at this stage of the build.

gmshades

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »
I have thought about doing the external oiling setup, but I cannot find enough technical information to do this properly. I don\'t want to make trouble. Do you have a website with illustrations on how to do this? I\'m even willing to buy the \"kit\", but can\'t find that anywhere either.

Camo1Ton

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
There are too many places to find this info. Google it, or try amc sites, i think I found info in jeepforum.com one time. This is a start.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc%20oil%20modification%20setup.htm

gmshades

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
Block has been successfully bored out 40 over, and is going to be balanced this coming week. Taking longer than expected, but i don\'t mind when the quality will be there.

Glenn

gmshades

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »
Wow. It\'s been awhile since I posted on this.

Motor is balanced and ready to go back together. I told him I need it by the beginning of next month. Hopefully he can come through for me. I\'ll keep you guys posted.

gmshades

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »
Here is the latest on the build to sum it up.

Heads were cleaned, then flattened. Valve seats were reworked. Then it was painted.

Valves were worked on to match heads, new valve seals installed. Original springs reinstalled.

Crankshaft sent out to be machined 10 under, and all edges were chamfered.

Block was cleaned, then bored 40 over.

New pistons, piston rings, and all bearings were ordered and installed. Whole assembly was balanced with the balancer and flywheel.

Order from Summit:
MSD Black Cap and Rotor for an 89 Mustang 5.0.
Ford Racing 9mm black plug wires.
Set of 16 Lifters
Summit K8600 Camshaft
Royal Purple Assembly Lube

From Advance Auto Parts:
NGK G-Power Sparkplugs
Edelbrock 2131 Performer AMC Intake Manifold

From Ebay:
New Timing Cover with Oil pump and cover.
Hardened Pushrods

I talked to Tom and Dan, and they said it should be no problem picking up the motor next weekend. They are honing the block today, and will be assembling everything on the motor except the pushrods, intake, and accessories.

I am hoping to be pushing 300-350hp outta this thing.

I just know it\'ll be worth the wait.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
sounds like its gonna be pretty sick!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

gmshades

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
I talked to the builders today. The block is honed and cleaned. Now its on the assembly line. Still looking good for Saturday to get it back and get the push rods on order.

The Edelbrock intake came in today. 21 pounds. I have a 600 cfm carborator from my friend for $50, so I\'ll throw that on and see how she runs.

BTW, any of you welded your spider gears? My friend should be doing it for me, but I don\'t know if he\'s gonna have time. Let me know if your interested or have any tips.

Glenn

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
awesome!

Quite a few of us have welded gears.  I have a welded up limited slip 10.25 rear, smike\'s 60/14 are both welded, at least Erik\'s rear 14b is welded, I don\'t remember the front\'s status but it may be as well.

My preference is not to weld to the case or cross pin since I don\'t want the heat to affect their strength - that\'s a debatable topic.  I weld the crap out of the teeth, and then follow a trick I got from Gif and Loco to put a slug of steel in the square opening and weld all 4 sides of that to all 4 gears.

If you\'re running a 14b rear, the \"orb of traction\" is the way to go but be certain to have everything lined up perfectly, otherwise it\'s a bitch to get your axle shafts back in.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Camo1Ton

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
Just make sure you DON\'T DO THIS, LOL

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763645

gmshades

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
Well, about noon on Friday, the guys call me and said looking at the rockers, I should buy new ones. So I made an order for some, but they won\'t come in til mid next week. That makes it an extra week to order the push rods.

And today they had a family event, so they were not at the shop so I could pickup the motor. No big deal in a way cause I needed to order the rockers.

So, right now, looks like I won\'t make it to the Aug. 29 Manchester sand drags. There is the last one the end of Sept. though.

I\'ll keep you guys posted.

gmshades

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »
Got out of work early today, so went and checked on the motor.

They installed the heads while I was there. They were even able to measure for push rods, so they are on order now.

gmshades

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
Everything is installed!!!

Just have to finish painting it and its ready to be picked up. Saturday can\'t come fast enough. Will get plenty of pics.

Glenn

gmshades

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:02 AM »
The motor is finally in again!

Should get it running today. More pics to come!

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1797.15