http://www.treadlightly.org/
99 xj problems...

Author Topic: 99 xj problems...  (Read 5674 times)

avenom

99 xj problems...
« on: August 08, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »
Here\'s the story....
Had the jeep for a year, never had a problem. Took it in on Monday to have the u-joints replaced, oil change, and have the non working fog lights looked at.
I pick up the jeep monday afternoon, drive a few places that night. Tuesday I go to work and notice a huge puddle under the drivers side axle, gear oil. About a 10 inch round puddle.
As I\'m on my way to work the engine light comes on.

I take it back to the shop Wednesday morning, and they say the CEL is not related to anything they did, it\'s a p0455 code(Large evap leak) They cleared it, and it came back on Thursday.
They said it was normal for the front diff to leak after new u-jouints.

Well the gear oil is still leaking today(saurday) big puddles everywhere I park it, and the CEL is still on. I have to wait till monday to take it back in, but the way I see it they re the cause of this gear oil leak, and should fix it right?
I\'m also weary of the CEL being nonrelated, it\'s too much of a coincidence for it not to have been them. They want to charge me $160 for a smoke test to find the evap leak.

Funny thing is I\'ve been taking all my cars to this shop for over 4 years, and never had any issue with them. They\'ve gotten a few new guys in the shop, so I wonder....

Why is the gear oil leaking all the way next to the tire?
What could cause it to leak?
I know evap leaks are hard to find, but what\'s common on these jeeps, and what could they have been near to knock loose during those repairs?
I know for the fog lights he had to go through alot of wiring.

Dragon

Re: 99 xj problems...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
It\'s possible he knocked something loose...it\'s also possible the gas cap is loose.
My old Dakota was notorious for the evap CEL.  I finally took the gas cap off and cleaned it up real good (and shook the rust out of the inner workings) and the light never came back on (for THAT problem, at least).

The axle?  yeah, if it wasn\'t leaking before, and is now, they need to fix whatever they did.  And I don\'t agree with \"oh they always do after u-joints\".

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:09:02 AM »
if your diff was full ,it is normal for oil to come out once they pulled the shaft.the housing is slightly tapered near the end so it will hold some oil in the housing even after the shaft is replaced,especially more so on the pass side.i\'d park uneven let it drain out,fill the diff,and if its leaking even more then you know the seal is leaking and they probably damaged it.

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »
Its 10 years old. Things get dry rotted and things wear out. If the axle seal is leaking then it could be theat removing the axles damaged it. Is it the shops fault? No, its a 10 year old seal that failed.

Evap is most likely a dryrotted line somewhere. Could have been knocked around and then started leaking. Again, I dontt hink its something that you can say, hey you broke it do fix it for free.

Stuff weras out and when fixing one problem others can arise.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:53 AM »
check you fuel cap.  it may need to be replaced.  even if it\'s not that, $10 fuel cap is a nice place to start with a possible $150 smoke test.

seal was probably damaged by a careless axle R&R.  old brittle seal like Ryan said.  Tear down the front end and do it again.  It\'ll be $30 in parts and $100 in labor I\'d bet, and everything should come apart nice for you since it was just taken down to do the ujoints.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1340.0