http://www.aussielocker.com
Cash for clunkers?

Author Topic: Cash for clunkers?  (Read 9458 times)

Offline bear555

Cash for clunkers?
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:40 AM »
So help me out here.
are the cars that are being traded in heading for the recycler?
So does that mean more parts?

I friend of my is bringing in his xj, he was going to talk to rejeep but is heading for the CARS deal instead since they are buying a new minivan.

I know how this works for the average joe trading in a car, but what happens to the car, how does the dealer handle this?

Yukoneer

Re: Cash for clunkers?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:27 AM »
My understanding is that the entire car will be crushed.  Parts removal is not allowed.   If you wanted to take some parts out, do it before its traded in...

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:21 AM »
it\'s required to be crushed.  lots of paperwork on things on the dealer end.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

smoser1122

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
I think that deal is junk. They should part these cars out before they send them to recycling. MAybe we can write to our awesome president about this idea!

ExplorHer4x4

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »
Its the presidents idea!   The point is to \"improve average fuel economy\", by forcing older cars off the road!  

And alot of paperwork.  they are not just giving away money.

tclaremont

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:30 AM »
I am no political expert, but wouldn\'t it have been a real boost to allow this plan ONLY WHEN BUYING AN AMERICAN CAR? (Yeah, I know... even American cars are no longer American)

This great incentive seems flawed from another aspect, too. If the max incentive is 4500, that means that the people interested in taking advantage of this offer are driving cars that are valued UNDER 4500, otherwise they would just sell them privately.

Perhaps I am off the mark, but how many people who drive cars valued at UNDER 4500 are truly in a financial position to buy a NEW CAR? And, even if they can get financing, isn\'t this curiously similar to the mortgage situation of a few years ago where people were buying houses they could not afford? Where did that get us?

Obama\'s next step is probably to tell the treasury to print more money, and send a check to everyone.

Gramps

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:57:21 AM »
the one problem is American cars are not built in America. I know an individual who does his best to buy only American built items. When he went to buy a truck he went to the Chevy dealership and as he went to go for a test drive he noticed the sticker BUILT IN MEXICO. He told the sales to forget it and walk across the street to the Toyota dealership and bought a Toyota that was BBUILT IN TENNESSEE.

I would much rather see American workers get paid and getting health care insurance than greedy executes at GM making a ton of money.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »

tclaremont wrote:

Perhaps I am off the mark, but how many people who drive cars valued at UNDER 4500 are truly in a financial position to buy a NEW CAR? And, even if they can get financing, isn\'t this curiously similar to the mortgage situation of a few years ago where people were buying houses they could not afford? Where did that get us?

you hit the nail on the head as far as I\'m concerned.

and as far as increasing the money supply that\'s already been done in ludicrous fashion.  The trillions for the financial sector bailouts came from thin air....
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline rejeep

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »
the restrictions for the deal will put an end to it soon..

Offline bear555

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Good call Arie, looks like the government is going to suspend the program.  

I talked to a couple of people today and it looks like there are instructions to poison the engine with sodium Silicate.
http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/car-dealers/how-to-use-sodium-silicate-to-disable-engines

I friend of mine just had the brakes fail on his junker XJ. He drove it (very slowly) the the dealer and picked up a minivan on the CARS program.
Other wise He was going to call you Arie.
Sorry dude.

-Ian

Offline rejeep

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
our stores are selling Bar\'s radiator stop leak by the case.. this is what the dealers are using to kill the motors...

on a side note.. all the money will be gone by the end of the week..

E_train

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
I personally think that this \"Cash for clunkers\" is a horrible idea. It is going to cost in the range of a billion tax payer dollars, but the fed is willing to just print the money. We don\'t need anymore government spending at this time.

ExplorHer4x4

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »
yes, engines are being \'disabled\' by running them with no oil and 2qt. sodium silacate solution= saltwater and liquid glass.  Kills any of these engines in 5 min or less.  It seems there will be many good parts going through junkyards, but VERY strict paperwork on crushing them.

no, I don\'t think this is right.

Offline carchameleon

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
its dumb and is getting more funding...
76 CJ7
06 Mazda 3
05 f150 crew cab

MassiveAttack

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »
Wow, that\'s dumb. I guess it never crossed anyone\'s mind that the energy used to \"recycle\" these cars will negate any savings in pollution. As well, all the products of the car that can\'t be reused go to landfills. Oh, and now that we\'ve shortened the otherwise useful life of the car, there\'s going to have to be more energy and raw materials used somewhere to produce a new car. Never mind that the whole thing is one more dollar my daughter will never see.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1314.0