http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
Durango or Dakota

Author Topic: Durango or Dakota  (Read 4557 times)

Dougget

Durango or Dakota
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »
Hi,
My current daily driver is my 2000 TJ.  It just turned 100K miles and is being converted to my toy as soon as I get a new (used) daily driver.  I\'m looking at 2006 Dakotas and Durangos.  Essentially the same truck, except the Dak has the 4 door crew cab and 5.5\' bed.

Need to make a choice.  Both trucks are in the same price range.  Really like the idea of a pickup with plenty of room for kids or adults in the back seat.  The very short bed works for me too.  Practicality is in question.  The bed would need a cover to keep stuff dry and a bed liner.  Tailgate doesn\'t lock, so security is an issue.  All of these things could be resolved with after-market parts, but that just adds to the cost.  Durango has more secure storage space, but hauling would be limited to \'clean\' cargo...

Some advice please?
Given a choice, price is the same, quality is the same, what would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Doug

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Durango or Dakota
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »
Depends 110% on your use.  Will you need/want to haul gravel, wood, hay, sod, rock, anything on a pallet, etc without a trailer?  if so you have only one choice.

I like the versatility of the pickup.  However if I had a utility trailer and the primary use was a people mover the Durango gets the nod.

If I\'m lucky I may have both at some point :)
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
Oh yeah, for what it\'s worth I\'d stick with \'04 and older.  the newer generations of both bring the suck, styling-wise.  The Durango became nearly fullsize and lost all appeal - aside from the issue of hitting every branch of the ugly tree on its way out of Auburn Hills.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Dragon

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »
on teh \'04 and older....check if the balljoints were replaced under recall.
My \'02 Dak had the uppers replaced twice, and the lowers replaced once.
Also had the torque-converter lock replaced and eventually the whole tranny replaced.

Other than that...was a GREAT truck.
I vote for the Dak....you can always find ways to lock stuff up in the bed...but you can\'t fit a 60\" TV in the back of a Durango.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=847.0