http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
We Smoked Smokey, Now lets Box Boxer!

Author Topic: We Smoked Smokey, Now lets Box Boxer!  (Read 4617 times)

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
We Smoked Smokey, Now lets Box Boxer!
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
Kurtuleas wrote:

The new Pirate4x4.com letter generator kicked off by knocking out a Smokey the Bear Public Service announcement that framed OHV users in a bad light.

[color=\"Red\"]Well, now we are using it to take out the big dogs! [/color] :evil:

Here is the situation:

Years ago, key staff from the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management, as well as leaders from some of California\'s radical anti-recreation groups, made a commitment to keep the historic Furnace Creek Road open. Well, guess who has not kept their promise? The anti’s are going back on their word and trying to close this trail forever. The Forest Service, Politicians, and other land management agencies are going back on their commitments to the OHV community. :shaking:

Not only that, now they are asking for even MORE wilderness in that area! U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer and U.S. Representative Howard “Buck” McKeon are proposing a bill that would designate 400,000 acres of Wilderness in Mono County, CA along the CA/NV border.

40 years ago the Wilderness Act was passed to protect land from development and things like mining and commercial clear-cut logging. This act is an OUTDATED act, and NONE of these things are happening in this specific area. There are many other ways to manage this land than to shut it down to everyone.

While some routes would remain in this “roadless” area if the bill passes, (supposedly to keep the OHV public satisfied) this bill would close many others, including the Furnace Creek Road, a popular 4x4 route which has been in existence since BEFORE Inyo National Forest was even created. The road was used at the turn of the last century for ranching and mining, but there is evidence of use since the mid to late 1800’s!

[color=\"Red\"]Here’s the kicker: Years after the federal land managers and the radical anti groups made a commitment to keep the Furnace Creek Road open, they want to use this Wilderness bill to go back on their word![/color]

[color=\"Red\"]We REALLY need your help on this one. AND we have a GOOD chance of beating this thing, or at the very least saving this historic trail if we get a big enough response[/color]. The OHV community must insist that all parties live up to their commitments. The Furnace Creek Road must remain open!

We only tend to fight for our own backyards and our own trails, well that\'s left us fragmented and ineffective. If we ALL team up to fight for each other, we can pack a huge punch. Please, even if you have never wheeled this area (I haven\'t) PLEASE send a letter!

Step 1:

Go to the letter generator at http://www.pirate4x4.com/letters

Step 2.

Follow the directions on that page. Either write a personal letter (the preferred method) or copy and paste the sample letter.

Step 3.

Click Send, then PLEASE forward this info to your friends and family.

It takes 3 minutes.....  I MAY also have some vendors on board to kick down some give-aways to push this thing. I am waiting on a few to step up.

One more thing:

[color=\"Red\"]If we can get 2,500 letters from the generator, BRC\'s Executive Director will print them all out, go to Washington DC and HAND DELIVER the stacks of letters to Senators and Representatives. That way they can\'t just \"delete\" and e-mail from us...[/color]

(A huge thanks to DRM who gave me that idea :flipoff2:)

Greg Mumm, has been on several trips to Washington DC lately.

The anti-recreation lobby has been very active! BRC has submitted written testimony in a House Subcommittee hearing on OHV use, and last month he testified in person at a Senate Subcommittee. BRC has also been involved in a new General Accounting Office (GAO) study on OHV use. The anti-recreation zealots are setting the stage for a very aggressive legislative and regulatory strategy for 2009.

This election cycle will be very important for the OHV community. PLEASE register to vote.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

KURT

Friends of Eldorado National Forest
Pirate4x4.com land-use Editor

Another West Coast fight, I know, but they\'re all important.  I\'ll be writing my letter as soon as I finish typing this, please make yourself heard as well.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Re: We Smoked Smokey, Now lets Box Boxer!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »
yo...  I keep getting the white page of doom!

Offline gCracker

Re: We Smoked Smokey, Now lets Box Boxer!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:06 PM »
where?  I just sent a letter fine.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=629.0