http://www.sharetrails.org
Easy tie rod upgrade

Author Topic: Easy tie rod upgrade  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Ryan_25

Easy tie rod upgrade
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Those of you that get my newsletter know that I swapped out my front axle for
a high pinion Dana 30. I rebuilt the axle, replaced all the bearings and seals, put in
4.88 gears and an Aussie Locker.

Here is the Jeep without an axle.

\"Photobucket\"

Here is the axle all rebuild painted and ready to install.

\"Photobucket\"

As long as I had everything unhooked and out of the Jeep I decieded to change out the
tie rod for a Grand Cherokee V-8 tie rod. This is a popular swap for those of us with 6 cylinder
Grands or XJ cherokees or TJ Wranglers. The stock tie rod is made of thin wall tubing and the
V-8 tie rod is made of solid 1\" tubing. The new assembly weighs about 10 pounds more than the old one does. You can see the difference in this picture

\"Photobucket\"

Not only is the rod itself bigger the ends are also much beefier. As this pic illustrates.

\"Photobucket\"

This was a completely bolt on installation. There was no drilling or fabrication required
to get this to fit. It is a very easy upgrade and inexpensive upgrade to do. You will need to re-set the toe after you install this, and may have to adjust the drag link to get the steering wheel centered again.

I feel much better wheeling with this new set up than I did before. I am more confident in the ability of my
Jeep now, so I am able to try harder lines and bigger obstacles.

Visit my website at www.bluedogjeep.com\">www.bluedogjeep.com

Or email me at Ryan@bluedogjeep.com
Ryan@BlueDogJeep.com

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Easy tie rod upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
and that silly little adjuster collar was the first thing you bent on the first run with the new tie rod right?

Nice upgrade otherwise, would be nice if there was a quick swap to a real piece of tube there with some jam nuts.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline Ryan_25

Re: Easy tie rod upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »
yes I did bend that adjuster.

My sway bar link came down and got wedged between the tie rod adjuster and the axle. Kinda a fluke thing.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=620.0