http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
inspection law help

Author Topic: inspection law help  (Read 5435 times)

Offline xstream

inspection law help
« on: June 18, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
Does anyone know of a loop-hole ,or a way of swapping in a bigger motor in n.y and still pass inspection (it\'s a 04 TJ) I can not seem to get a straight answer on this (sick of 2.4l ) my next step is to switch to a standard trans.I would be happy with just going to a 4.0l for now, so you would think I would be able to go to a 4.0 because Jeep offered it.( as long as it is a 04 or newer).  :cuss:  :dunno:  :banghead:  :bawl:  :cry:  :-x  :crazy:  :censor:  :mad:  :denied:
04 Tj 4 banger
3.5 Rubicon super flex  lift
1" body lift
XRC8,000lbs winch
4.56's
33's pro comp XMT's
96 xj stock for now

Joe

Re: inspection law help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »
You already answered your own question! NY will allow you to swap a different motor in as long as it passes the emissions standards for the year the of vehicle or anything since then... so if you get an 04 or newer motor with the ECU and all the emissions equipment (and make sure it\'s all happy), it should be legal. As far as I know, it doesn\'t have to be the same brand motor either, so you could drop in a motor out of an \'09 Corvette ZR1 if you wanted! 8-)

The easiest way to find out for sure though is just call the DMV in Albany and ask, I\'ve found they\'re very willing to help answer all kinds of odd questions.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
the way I understand it...

You can swap in a motor the same age or newer along with the appropriate emission hardware and computer.  The BODII computer will read it and any fault codes as the vehicle it came from.  For example, you could swap in a 5.9 from a Dakota or even a Hemi and with some wiring mods, it\'ll bolt up to your trans and work with your dash.  There are companies out there like AEV who will provide some or all of the parts necessary.

I\'d love to do this but...

Clear as mud?

John

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
Ok....

Here\'s what i know about this sorta thing...A few years ago, i was toyig with the idea of dropping in a V10 under my hood...Thankgod i didn\'t either...I was told from \'97 on you have to have the same engine under the hood or it\'s not registerable for on road...Which means you can\'t go from a 2.5 to a 4.0 which kinda sucks..If you do then it can only be a trail truck ...

John...

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
What Joe and Mark have said is what I have heard as well.

The most accurate answer of course would be to call Albany.

The guy in WNYOR with the 4BT Cummins in his ZJ might also be able to help you out with the nonstandard powerplant questions.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline xstream

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
cool I will call them ,I tried e-mail with no response yet :hack:  :grind:  :burnout:  :-D
04 Tj 4 banger
3.5 Rubicon super flex  lift
1" body lift
XRC8,000lbs winch
4.56's
33's pro comp XMT's
96 xj stock for now

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=561.0