http://www.aussielocker.com
1995 Ford Steering Box

Author Topic: 1995 Ford Steering Box  (Read 4753 times)

tony-mudman

1995 Ford Steering Box
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
My van takes the exact same steering box as an F150 and my intermediate shaft needs a new u-joint put on it. Ford and everybody else stopped making them. What few there are still left laying around are worth their weight in gold. All I need to do is buy is a regular steering u-joint, but can't get in to get a size and splice count on the shaft of the steering box because there is no room under the hood and I don't want to rip everything apart. Does anyone know what diameter and how many splines are on the input shaft side of the steering box?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: 1995 Ford Steering Box
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
I don't know what those specs would be but you might be able to work backwards from some application information with Flaming River or Borgeson parts catalogs.

Not much help, but maybe a few names to help your search terms.

good luck in the hunt
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

tony-mudman

Re: 1995 Ford Steering Box
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
I chatted with places like Summit and Jegs - they don't know their butts from a hole in the ground and could answer anything about the Ford steering boxes shaft size and spline. I did have a 3/4" - 36 spline steering coupler laying around and went down to Autozone and had them pull a box off the shelf. But it didn't fit - it was close, the box is just a touch bigger and couldn't tell if the spline count was. I have checked out some websites about steering u-joints, but there really was no Ford products in regards to pickups and vans. Plenty of Mustang though.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3706.0