http://www.4wd.com
Rausch Creek 7/3-5

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 7/3-5  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Rausch Creek 7/3-5
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »
With surprisingly little holiday traffic southbound, I was the first to arrive at the park on Thursday about 7:30p with Harry and Hannah at 8:00p, and Scott about 8:30p.  sMike and Gif  pulled in about 10:45p.  Thankfully, there weren't many in the camping area so parking was plentiful.  Camp and fire established and all relaxed until drowsy.

Friday morning, sMike and Gif headed out to the north property and the rest of us set out toward the south and ran trail 1C on the way.  The logging in progress on the south property made the trails confusing and on our way around trail 22, Harry's radiator and power steering cooler were damaged by a branch.  Rather than attempt a trail repair, we headed back to camp where he removed the old and installed a newly purchased parts store unit.  While he was wrenching, the rest headed down Trail C and ended up at Yellow Jacket. No issue for Bronco Chris, then I made it but broke a lower control arm bolt in the process. Scott took the bypass while Chris found a perfect bolt and nut for a temp fix.  Back to camp and the RC parts shed where I found a bushing, bolt, and nut.  We met up with Harry's friends Reid and Caleb in their Cherokee.  With all repairs now completed, we went to the comp course and then down to Stair Step.  Caleb and Scott wisely took another trail and after gathering some additional firewood, we met back at camp for another relaxing evening around the fire.  Gari arrived after dark.

"Gari's Day" - Saturday morning greeted us with a steady soaking rain.  We took shelter in various trailers, tents, and awnings and told tall tales.  sMike and Gif decided to call it and at about 11:00a, packed and headed for home.  Shortly after they left, the rain subsided and the sun came out!  We packed our gear and headed for trail O.  Not far in, Caleb investigated a possible damaged center pin on a rear leaf pack and just up the trail, Gari broke a front ujoint.  In time, both were vetted and repaired.  Harry, Chris, Hannah, and I tried our skill at one of the hill climbs.  All were successful.  On to Yellow Jacket and then CV where Harry and Chris completed a couple of the difficult hill climbs.  Then we picked up trail 4 and then trail 2 and ended up at Crawler Ridge.  Gari was nearly at the top when a rear axle shaft broke.  Not an easy or fast repair, the axle was stripped, the broken pieces removed, and the replacement installed just after dark.  Back to camp for much needed R&R.

Sunday morning was foggy/misty.  But it wasn't raining!  After relaxing start, some good conversation, we straightened Scott's tie rod and bid him farewell.  Gari took my passenger seat and we headed to the north property and trail 40, 32, 36, 37, 34, 31, X3, all completed uneventfully.  About 1:00p, we decided to call it a weekend, part ways, and head home.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:21:29 PM by Wingman »

Offline CJ143

Re: Rausch Creek 7/3-5
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:41:02 AM »
Great writeup Wingman!

Offline Spencer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:14 AM »
Gari is taking this tow rig and trailer thing seriously!

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:54 AM »
Gif and i rolled down in my enclosed trailer.  got talking and missed the 901/54 short cut.  really seemed less stressfull that way! 

Friday morning we went over to north property and did Red*, the Talismans, ran Affliction backwards, then up outer limits and back to camp for some lunch to meet the radiator install crew.

After lunch we headed over to jotters- the left side is very under cut now and will be very challenging.  Ran some of the rocky trails over by stair step and then headed out to the logging side.  down H, ran all of 20, up 13, Otters trail, end of rock creak, and then out deathtrap.  We then cruised around and ran a trail called stout, the 10's and out big rocks.  On the way up H we to head to south property, i took the first steep rocky tight short cut up and out and slammed the right side rear tire into a root under heavy power.  This was later found to be a broken 4340 14bolt shaft when we reached S3 on the south property on our way to 21red. 

at 7pm we called it and 3 wheeled back to camp.  stock shaft replaced.  spindle damage but find for now.

rain was too much, and we loaded up Saturday morning.  Uneventful trip other than truck not liking the tuner in the mountains.  home by 3pm.   
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline gslarue

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
Time for upgrades. ;D

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3636.0