http://www.treadlightly.org/
Rausch Creek 4/24-26

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 4/24-26  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Rausch Creek 4/24-26
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Well, I'm back already.  :'(

It was a cold and windy Thursday night.  Temps dipped below freezing and the mountain top was gusty.  Dan and Sarah arrived first, with Tom and I shortly behind at about 7:45p.  Harry and Hannah after 11p and Shane about midnight.  Tents were erected, cargo was shuffled, and prep for the chilly night completed.

After a fitful and shivering night, the morning sun was welcomed.  Still cold and gusty though.  Brrr!  With hot coffee and breakfast consumed, rigs prepped, sign in completed and we headed out toward the old office and L3 area.  We got everyone up to the top of Stair Step after a few challenges and then pointed toward C and CV trail.

Somewhere during all of this, I broke a lower rear shock mount and shock shaft.  No problem?  Let's keep going.  I had no idea where the pieces ended up.  This would come back on me later...

Off to Yellow Jacket and trail 8 where Dan rolled a tire bead off.  Some creative jacking and safety winch cable had the tire remounted and bead reseated and back "up" to pressure.  Then off to Trail 2 and back to camp for lunch.

Full bellys and supplies replenished, we were off to trail 1C, Pole Line, and Crawler Ridge.  A few challenges met with success, one way or another.  At a couple of points, I had to stop and return the coil spring to its proper location.  Apparently, the shock provided a droop limiting function.  ;)  We tried a couple of limiting strap ideas with a small ratchet strap but none were successful for very long.

At about 4:30p, we decided to return again to camp but hit black "O" and Walk In The Park on the way.  After the steep decent into "O" and completing the short section before the climb out, I lost brake pedal.  I found that the caliper brake hose had torn off, probably from too much droop out.  Oh, and the spring had popped out again too.  I crimped the hard line off and jacked until the spring would go back into place.  On the way up and out of "O", the spring vacated again, so a quick tire climb helped Tom pop it back into place again.  We were getting pretty adept at this task.

On the way back to camp, I met up with an old club member, Josh from western NY, briefly.  He was leading a group of friends around in his JKU.  Always good to catch up with friends!

We arrived back at camp with no more spring issues and no more brakes.  I think we reseated that spring 6+ times.  I made the call that my "new" pile was too broken to continue on Saturday.  So I loaded up, said my farewells, and headed uneventfully home.

A hot shower and warm bed were very appreciated!

Offline s0l0ithz

Re: Rausch Creek 4/24-26
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
Great time.  I definitely gave the rubicon a work out.  Still can't belive the traction of Dan's bald tires, wow. And watching Hannah try hard trails was a blast.  Have to give Shane props for working his open open tj very well.<br/>

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
In the absence of Mark on Saturday I'll give the daily review.  :)

Friday night into Saturday was pretty chilly, about 30*, with everyone's Mr.Buddys on high all night, and a neighbor hater generator waking everyone up around 5:30am. Lots of Buggys and trailers filled the parking lot for W.E.Rock.

Dennis with the magenta tracker met up with us in the parking lot and around 10 or so we headed out. We headed out and went up the pole line towards the west property first. Went through a huge crowd all lined up to go through the mud pit which was extra muddy even on the bypass side. We all took our time going through trail 20, one of my favorites.  :) Dan, even with red labels with barely any tread left climbed right over Pitman Rock. Tom made a valiant try up but ended up backing down. After everyone making it through 20 and I think parts of 12 or 12-B we headed in for lunch.

Had lunch at the trailers and went over to watch W.E.Rocks for a half hour. We headed back out, this time to the South Property. With all the logging happening around the entrance to the south property we couldn't find the entrance to Cemetary. We cut in the middle of a cleared area and popped onto the trail. Harry, Dan, and Tom did the red area while Dennis and Shane did a great job in the black area. We continued on to blue Trail 22, then headed down S-1 around the Quarry and ended up at Snakebite. Fun trail, Harry and I split the driving, saw a turkey cross the trail in front of us, and everyone made it out with no snake bites. [emoji14] It was about 3:30 so we decided to head closer to camp and play around in CV. I was navigating and missed trail B and lead everyone down a very windy and long green Trail 1 . We ended up somewhere confusing on the map that was neither trail 5 or yellow jacket, again, confused by the logged areas. Regardless, we popped out on trail C right before CV. first Dan made it up the left line then Harry followed. Tom made it up the just-as-steep line on the right, then Dan did another line on the middle/right side. I took Harrys jeep around and came up on the right side, and had a ton of fun doing an obstacle harder than I'm used to. Shane and Dennis played around on the bottom and headed up the blue on the far right and we went into camp.

Dennis loaded up and headed out, we all grilled the rest of our food, and warmed up around Mr Buddy in Harrys trailer. The fire ban was a bummer but we were all pooped and headed to bed fairly early. We woke up today to warmer, sunny weather, Shane made us all breakfast and we all watched W.E.Rocks for about an hr before heading out at noon.

With no breakage and lots of ground covered, Saturday was a good day at Rausch! Other good news is that the West and South property were not logged so it looks like good ol' Rausch!

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »

Offline Chefshano2007

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
Had a great time on my fist trip with the Club!!! thank you everyone for being so inviting all weekend and helping me threw some sticky situations!!!
I look forward to meeting more members and getting back on the trails with the club. I think a general conciseness from this weekend was the "MR. BUDDY" should be a required item this early in the year! Which reminds me I need to buy one!!!! preferably with a 20# tank. Thanks again everyone for a great weekend!!! 

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3615.0