http://www.aussielocker.com
Whispering Pines winter run 2/22/14

Author Topic: Whispering Pines winter run 2/22/14  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
Jaysen, Troy and I braved the elements for a little winter snow-bashing.  Couldn't really have asked for better winter weather.  The sun was warm but it was windy.  The snow that remained after the last few days of thaw was just mush.  It was like driving in sand.  The deep puddles had a very thick layer of ice on them that sometimes supported our vehicles but most times not.  The result was a thick and chunky slop with large pieces of mobile ice.  Then there was the frozen mud underneath the tracks.  It just became a skating rink after the first pass.  Challenging terrain to say the least.  Throttle and momentum were our close companions for most of the day.

Casulaties: rear brake line, front grille/hood...

Offline jaysenodell

Re: Whispering Pines winter run 2/22/14
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
She made it home. Looks like tomorrow will be "beat the pieces straight(er)" day.

Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
Also got to meet Charlie's brother Steve.  Strong family resemblence.

On the way home, a local Jeep TJ started tailing us and followed me home.  Met Devon and shared our day's tale and club info.  Always good to meet fellow off-roaders!

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
is jay still allowed to play with us

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
Sounds like more fun was had there than me pushing a minivan on a car trailer then pushing it off .

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
There's a certain attraction between fresh paint and obstacles/ wildlife...

Tapatalking in traffic
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
In this particular case, it was the back of a buggy.

In the afternoon the temp and sunlight conspired to make most uphill passages a challenge for Mark and Troy. Poor MLC was Troy's trailer.

Well, in the east section Mark winched up a tough climb and Troy managed to make it up. MLC had no chance. She held about half way up. Troy backed up to get the strap on but the complete lack of traction required a bit more momentum for him to get any purchase. So we backed down and give it a run. The buggy made it to the steepest section and couldn't make it with the extra weight of MLC.

Well, gravity is a terrible mistress. We backed down the slope again to give it another run. As we started up the slope Gravity decided to remind us that she can not be denied. Troy and I stopped and then Troy wasn't stopped anymore. With no purchase on the ice and a lack of break pedal that 9.8m/seconds^2 created quite the metal crunching impact as Troy slid backwards into MLC.

Nothing anyone could have done to prevent it.

A bit of field surgery by Dr Wing and MLC made it out of the park and back to the drive way. The damage seems cosmetic (no important parts busted). Here are some pics.

That push bar saved me serious pain. Hood, grill and bumper seem to be a completely loss. Going to try to beat them into a "safer to drive" state this afternoon.

And no Troy, I'm not allowed to play. Im grounded indefinitely.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:58:01 AM by jaysenodell »
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Tube fenders and winch would have avoided this tell her.  Bummer
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
Ha ha.

Offline GBR928

• Club Member
    • GBR #928 FB Page
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »

In this particular case, it was the back of a buggy.

In the afternoon the temp and sunlight conspired to make most uphill passages a challenge for Mark and Troy. Poor MLC was Troy's trailer.

Well, in the east section Mark winched up a tough climb and Troy managed to make it up. MLC had no chance. She held about half way up. Troy backed up to get the strap on but the complete lack of traction required a bit more momentum for him to get any purchase. So we backed down and give it a run. The buggy made it to the steepest section and couldn't make it with the extra weight of MLC.

Well, gravity is a terrible mistress. We backed down the slope again to give it another run. As we started up the slope Gravity decided to remind us that she can not be denied. Troy and I stopped and then Troy wasn't stopped anymore. With no purchase on the ice and a lack of break pedal that 9.8m/seconds^2 created quite the metal crunching impact as Troy slid backwards into MLC.

Nothing anyone could have done to prevent it.

A bit of field surgery by Dr Wing and MLC made it out of the park and back to the drive way. The damage seems cosmetic (no important parts busted). Here are some pics.

That push bar saved me serious pain. Hood, grill and bumper seem to be a completely loss. Going to try to beat them into a "safer to drive" state this afternoon.

And no Troy, I'm not allowed to play. Im grounded indefinitely.

Oh gravity...., thou art a heartless bitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 4400 Class Ultra4 Race Car
'87 Wagoneer XJ DD
'83 CJ7 Renegade Project
'94 ZJ Winter Wonder 3.0
'04 Ram 3500 Dually Tow Rig
'93 Wrangler Trail Rig

Offline rejeep

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
grill guards dont do anything..

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
The grille guard actually took some of the brunt and saved the grille from being pushed farther in.  I'm giving it some credit.

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
i figure that since it was the only thing still in contact with Troy at full stop it took some of the smack out. The welds to the bumper gave up after the bumper deformed. Either way I'm glad I was able to drive away from it.

No human injuries. At least not from the accident. Once the wife got her hands on me...

Offline Callelle

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
Once the wife got her hands on me...

It hurts so good, may I please have some more ......
1997 XJ Country 4.0/AW4 - DD/Weekend Wheeler
  4.5-5" lift, TnT Long arms, IRO/RE springs, Aussies, a bunch of armor
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 - Tow Rig
  Firestone Airbags

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3403.0