http://www.sharetrails.org
Rear tire carrier

Author Topic: Rear tire carrier  (Read 5487 times)

PurkinjeX15

Rear tire carrier
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
Will my 35 inch BFG mudder be to heavy for my tailgate on my 11' JK??

Offline AWL4928

Re: Rear tire carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it if its on an aluminum wheel.  I have wheeled plenty with many impacts as others can attest  And mines held up fine.   Many of the Jk complaints need to be taken with with a grain of salt.   That said if you get a heavier combo like a nitto tire that might be a different story.  Just make sure the rubber bumpers on the edges of the tire are still in contact.   Extended ones are made by Daystar and can be cut to length.

dutchman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
will it actually fit?  Might be to big to fit the space, but they do sell an offset that you can get for it

Dragon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
Assuming you're using a different wheel with 4.5" backspacing, yes it will fit.  You might want to get some extended bumpers to reduce the stresses it will place on the stock carrier (that thing is just pot metal, after all).

As far as weight, there have been some reports of the additional stress causing the spot welds on the rear gate to pull out over time.  But there have been others who report no problems.
All I can suggest is to keep an eye on it, and plan on getting an aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3300.0