http://www.4wd.com
Rausch Creek 9/29-9/30

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 9/29-9/30  (Read 4957 times)

Offline xjh3

Rausch Creek 9/29-9/30
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »
Rausch Creek, 9/29 – 9/30

Attendees: Harry, Mark, Gary, Smike, Matt G, Matt (88GMC), Mike (Raddadd), Reid and Chris with Hannah, Leslie, Matt’s Dad, Mike and Mollie as passengers.

My previous Rausch trip in August with this Fingerlakes bunch was a great trip, but netted some decent carnage on my rig. Gas tank skid destroyed, driver’s side front shaft blown in the middle of Rock Creek, and the weekend ender for me was the second round of steering box bolt failures that ripped the threads out of the steering box. With all of those issues tended to and a few little extras accomplished, I was feeling ready to wheel. My girlfriend Hannah was also incredibly excited for the trip, which only multiplied my own excitement.

Spencer couldn’t make it due to work.  :'(  :P  >:(

We got a late start Friday night as my roommate Reid and his girlfriend Mollie were arriving back from the airport after Reid spent two weeks in Florida for work. He had decided at 8am Friday morning he would join me as he hadn’t wheeled since June. Who could blame him? We departed CT around 8pm after a Uhaul trailer had been procured but pants forgotten, as we would all be made very aware of on a chilly Saturday night.  ;D We arrived to a dark camp and quickly laid down for sleep.

Saturday morning was predictably chilly. Everyone was vertical between 8 and 9am. We ate breakfast, those of us with caffeine habits sucked down our coffee and grabbed stickers. We waited a few minutes for Mike’s (Raddadd) and Leslie’s arrival and we were on our way to wheel the new property.

Disclaimer: To this day, I still can barely navigate my way around Rausch, much less remember trail names. So bear with me here.

We ran a couple green/blue trails and eventually made our way onto a more difficult blue/black trail. Mike’s JK found itself tightly against a tree on the passenger’s side where he managed to squish his rocker guard a bit. Some careful reversing and redirecting got him on his way with no body damage. The next obstacle put me in quite a predicament. I chose a poor line (hard to believe right???) coming off a rock ledge I climbed and ended up with my Jeep on a 45 degree angle leaning to the passenger’s side. Gary and I wrapped a strap around my window opening and around a tree while I winched myself off.

Moments later… GARY BROKE A FRONT SHAFT!!! Driver’s side, broke the ears off the outer (?). We did the typical trail repair that was made slightly more difficult by a good amount of WP mud in the unit bearing area.

We proceeded to Devil’s Den where Mark, Smike, Matt G. and myself all took our lines through to the top. Mark and I took a line up a large ledge at the top and both conquered the obstacle with the assistance of Chris’ superb spotting. Smike drove up and down, left and right. He was employing his typical ‘mash the gas when something stops forward progress’ technique. He looked bored, we were all smiles watching. I took another lap and tried a pretty dumb line, ended up winching out. Matt got stuck as well (sorry… don’t really know what was going on since I was stuck myself hahaha.)

We ventured on, mostly uneventful until the legendary steep, muddy hill climb with the precarious sharp right at the top. We all made it up, everyone at least ¾ throttle by the peak. Always entertaining! Matt’s YJ was impressive with only 4 squirrels under the hood and a large plume of blue smoke. Matt’s friend Matt with the GMC pickup gave us a show with his 400hp full throttle assault that didn’t quite make the quick right at the top. I’m guessing the lack of traction on the front tires due to their ‘airborne-ness’ may have been a contributing factor.

Chris and I then headed back to camp to meet up with Mollie and Reid who had retrieved Reid’s new trailer. Our three rigs proceeded back to Devil’s Den where Hannah piloted my Jeep through the entire first section (huge smile every second!), Reid nearly rolled over backwards, I took a new line to the top, and we spent a solid 45 minutes trying to get Chris’ open-open, no-flex Bronco out of the Den on the far right line to no avail. A strap was used for extraction from my Jeep, but we all had a blast piling rocks and listening to the 302 open up spinning 2 out of the 4 tires. Almost made me miss the simple, open-open days… almost.

We arrived back to a buggy stacked with wood and proceeded to make a fire. We cooked our meals and enjoyed some brews  until around 11pm where the last of us headed in for sleep.

We woke the next morning to some sun! A nice surprise on another chilly morning. It didn’t last, and the clouds were back, but we headed on our way after some vehicle inspection and breakfast. Matt G., Smike, and Raddadd had already started their trek home.

We took some black lines through O and CV (?) on our way to Rock Creek. All but the Bronco ventured in. Everyone was doing well until Reid snapped his D30 passenger side shaft within 3 feet of where I had broken on the previous trip. Typical trail replacement and a little strategic hi-lift and rock usage and we were on our way. At that point it was approaching 3pm and we headed back to camp.

Everyone loaded/aired up and packed away their stuff. We all said our goodbyes and started our way home.

No major carnage and smiles were seen on familiar and new faces alike. Great trip as always!!! Hannah took a ton of great pics I will upload to the gallery when they finish dumping into my dropbox.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: Rausch Creek 9/29-9/30
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
Great report!  Thanks Harrison!

I can only add a piece when Harrison, Hannah, and Chris were retrieving Reid and Mollie...

The rest of us took K to N3 to R down near Outer Limits.  Some were squawking about "Brake Check" and "Winch Required" :-X so when I saw the trail head 38A (aka "Brake Check"), you know I turned in! ;D  It hadn't changed much since my last trip down, still good pucker factor.  Apparently, there was a squeal of fright from Leslie as Mike H and the JK descended. :o  Haha!

We emerged from 38A and started 38C.  I'm not convinced the beginning of this trail should be rated blue.  It was pretty technical and as hard as any purple on the main property.  A short way in, we found a loose loamy hill climb with a couple of rocks near the top.  I tried a number of lines and finally had success.  I bent my Hi-lift against a tree trying to find the right approach.  There was no crawling this one.  To add to the fun, there was a shorter steep decent that would rival "Brake Check" within a few feet.  The buggy was next, making it look easy, followed by the JK.  He got to the top and hi-centered, requiring a strap.  Mind you, the buggy and I were now at the bottom of this mini Brake Check.  In true form, the buggy made a number of spectacular full throttle assaults BACKWARD to try and mount the ledge.  It was not meant to be so we hooked two straps together and pulled the JK down.  After a gratuitous squeal from Leslie, :) the rest followed without incident.

This trail 38C continued but we bailed back onto R with the intention of finding a culvert/tunnel that sMike had located on a previous run.  Back up R, onto N3, K2, N2, near the intersection of X2.  Unfortunately, we found that the trail to this tunnel was now marked "Keep Out".  We obeyed but were sad. :'(

Nearing dinner time, we traversed X2 to X4 and down 34.  T2 to the Blacktop Road and N4 found us back at camp to grab some firewood and rejoin our compadres.

This hobby is so fun!

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
Re: Rausch Creek 9/29-9/30
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
that wood was awesome!

sad they marked keep out that trail, it was not marked 3 weeks ago.  :(
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer