http://www.sharetrails.org
Transmission Cooler question

Author Topic: Transmission Cooler question  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Callelle

Transmission Cooler question
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
I've been meaning to instal a transmission cooler so that I don't cook my AW4, but have yet to do so just because I haven't had the money to drop into one. Today I happened to be going through some stuff in the garage and happened to find one just laying there (think it used to be on my dad's tool truck). It's a bit beat up and used looking, but if it works, that's 60 bucks I don't have to drop into one. The only thing is I cant find any fittings or anything (not that I really know what I'm looking for) that go with it. So what do I have to buy in terms of fittings/hoses/what ever to hook this up? I know that stock it has hard lines going into the driver's side tank in the radiator, so I didn't know if I could just cut those and use a few hose clamps or not. The ends on the cooler it self are 1/3" wide.
1997 XJ Country 4.0/AW4 - DD/Weekend Wheeler
  4.5-5" lift, TnT Long arms, IRO/RE springs, Aussies, a bunch of armor
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 - Tow Rig
  Firestone Airbags

Offline Spencer

Re: Transmission Cooler question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
i have a flex-a-lit one that i got in a kit for $35 off summit. it uses soft like that you tap into the existing soft line that runs from the hard line to the rad. works great so far, no leaks.

Offline Callelle

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »
The only thing I could find on Summit was this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13023/  and another of the same thing just different sizes. Is this what I need?
  Firestone Airbags

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
the one pictured you have is a pretty common cooler that just clamps in.  most  trans lines are around 3/8" and they are low pressure side. 

i recommend using good gator clamps from summit that i stock, not the cheap hose clamps that fail.

Tip, J&J has tons of nice coolers on old trucks.  people seem to put coolers on right before they give up and scrap them to the yards lol. 
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Spencer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline Callelle

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
So I got some double ended barbed fittings and some hose/gator clamps down at the local hardware/auto store (actually ended up being about the same price as the instal kits online). I'm gonna attempt going right off the soft lines like Spencer suggested and eliminate it going into the drivers side tank on the radiator all together. Or would it be better to keep the driver's side tank in the system and just run to cooler before or after it runs through it. Since I'm going to be using the zip tie things to mount it, where on the radiator would be the best place to mount it? In front of the clutch fan, E fan, or in between both of them?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:41:58 PM by Callelle »
  Firestone Airbags

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2785.0