http://www.treadlightly.org/
Mystery winch....?

Author Topic: Mystery winch....?  (Read 4916 times)

85jimmyguy

Mystery winch....?
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
I picked up this winch last night. I have never seen one oriented this way before. The guy I got it from said it came of a deuce and a half but it only has 3/8\" cable on it so im doubting that unless it was some sort of auxilary winch. There are no markings on it at all. It has 2 numbers on it that seem like part numbers for the aluminum casings but nothing else. This thing probably weighs about 75lbs I\'d say. I have the controller and a pile of crusty solinoids that got a little hot in a barn fire apparently. I\'m going to have a friend of my father look at it to see if he can get to work. The motor on it looks like an old truck starter motor.

I have looked all over the internet and cant find anything even similar to it. It looks to have a small gear on the motor that drives a larger gear wich drives a worm gear. It looks legit and it seems like it would mount pretty nicely between my frame rails.

Has anyone ever seen one of these before?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Mystery winch....?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
for what little it\'s worth, not something I\'ve ever seen before.  The motor on it looks exactly like one I had on an old plow hydraulic pump though.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline gslarue

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »
looks like an old ford starter moter

85jimmyguy

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
So I hooked this thing up and coulden\'t get any movement out of the motor.  So the winch had to come apart to get the motor off to take to a friend of my dads to test it out and see if it was worth fixing or not. Here are some pics of the internals.. Its definetly a quality winch but I\'m thinking its going to be kinda on the slow side. we will see.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2615.0