http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
winch tech

Author Topic: winch tech  (Read 13556 times)

Offline gCracker

winch tech
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:03:24 AM »
My jeep came with a Warn XD9000i, looking at the engagement lever it looks like it should move 180 degrees, but it does not.  Am I correct that it should move more?  The winch is currently disconnected so I can not test it, just looking for some info.

Snort

Re: winch tech
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »
I am not sitting in front of mine at the moment but I am pretty certain it only moves 90 degrees. Starting positon is either 3 or 6 o\'clock, then the spool is locked in one of those positions and unlocked in the other.  You shouldn\'t need it hooked up to test whether you can pull the cable out or not.

Offline gCracker

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:44:32 AM »
I did not want to try to pull the cable out since I could not wind it back out.  How hard should it be to turn?  I had to put a wrench on it to get it to turn.

I want to dig into it this weekend to get it working.  I need to loosen it off of the plate to crimp a new connector on the bottom wire.  I sprayed all of the bolts read good last night and will continue.

I then hope the solenoids are still good.  the PO said he had to clean them up once before to get it to work.

Offline gCracker

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »
I just found the users manual online and it shows the lever moving all the way, liiks like I got some more work to do.  Anyone ever rebuild a winch before?

Snort

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
THe spool should be fairly easy to turn  by hand.  Meaning, if you pull the cable out (only a foot or so cuz you want the wrap to stay tight), you should be able to spin it back by hand.
I\'d start with WD-40, but it is strange that someone would leave the winch but disconnect it.  Why not take it off then - it\'s only 4 bolts.  Almost like they knew something was wrong...

Offline gCracker

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
the wire ends were all corroded, so the PO replaced the top 3, but did not have enough time to get to the bottom 1.  

Believe me the PO did not do any prep to get the jeep ready to sell, it was still filthy inside, parts were scattered in his garage, etc.

Snort

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 06:48:43 PM »
Yep ur right 180,
12 o\'clock is free
6 o\'clock is engaged

Offline gCracker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »
I removed the lever tonight and it looks pretty rusty inside, so I think a complete tear down and regrease is needed.
I have found the blow-up diagram of the winch and even someone else\'s rebuild webpage  so I think I am about ready to tear into it, whenever I get the time.

Snort

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »
It\'s well worth it, winches hold their value which is exactly why I pulled mine off before selling the truck.

meangreen

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
when you put it back together make sure you use a good marine grade greese in it. helps keep the water out.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
marine bearing grease is definitely gold for anything that sees spray or submersion.  a point oft forgotten.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline gCracker

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
Warn specifically recommends 2 brands of grease, I may disassemble and re-assemble, just to clean and test then if it is working disassemble and re-assemble again to grease with the correct grease.

Offline Scooter

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 10:06:30 AM »
The latest August Edition of Four Wheeler Magazine has an entire section dedicated to rebuilding a warn winch. Has complete tear down and reassembly instructions.
-Scott
'97 F-150. 6" Fabtech lift. 37's (Expensive Lawn Ornament)
'08 Ford F-150 Crew Cab (60th Anniversary edition)
'07 Polaris Trailboss

Offline gCracker

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 09:30:57 PM »
well I got it tore apart today, let me tell you it was not a pretty sight!  Both the motor and gears were packed with rusty mud.  I believe it is all fine except I think the sun gear may be fused to the housing.  That is why the lever would not turn the whole way.  I have it soaking in parts washer solution overnight and will see if I can get it loose tomorrow.  I will be ordering a new gasket kit from Warn Monday.

Offline gCracker

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:40:33 PM »
well it looks like I can not find where to buy the parts.  Anyone know where to get gaskets and seals for Warn winches?

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=24.0