http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
AMC 360... intermittent no spark

Author Topic: AMC 360... intermittent no spark  (Read 5942 times)

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
AMC 360... intermittent no spark
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
It began when we tried to bring Cora\'s CJ7 in the shop prior to the last Rausch Creek trip.

Engine would crank but not start.
it had fuel, but no spark

because the engine is on its second coil i tried swapping it with another. when i did it would only start and run as you released the key switch from the start to run position. it would not fire in the start position.

that lead me to assume it was the ignition switch.

with no changes it magically began working again. (original coil, and i never touched the ignition switch)

Wheeled it for 2 days @ rausch creek, no starting issues

returned home, drove it off the trailer and into the shop. the next time i tried to start it, it spit and sputtered a few times, but then no spark again.

I tested the Mallory distributor according to the manufactures recommended procedures and it checks out, but the issue im finding is that every time i start testing and pulling wires on and off, it then starts and runs. she has the UNILITE Electronic Vacuum Advance Distributor, It is triggered by a self-contained, photo-optic infrared L.E.D. system using a breakerless ignition circuit, combined with modern surface mount Thermal-Clad construction that has no moving parts to adjust or wear out, according to the manufacturer.

im planning to remove the ignition switch from the equation, but wanted to post up my dilemma in the hopes im not overlooking something.

yesterday I futzed with the jeep for a few hours, finally got it to start and run (I didnt do anything significant)parked it outside, started it a few times throughout the day, when i tried to move it back inside later that night, no spark again.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
Re: AMC 360... intermittent no spark
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
sounds like a ground somewhere

i love problems like this.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
i just removed the ignition switch from the equation.
Still wont fire!
im going to retest the distributor (or DIZZY so i have found it called other places on the \"webernet\")according to Mallory\'s instructions now that it currently wont spark.

Ill double check my grounds too!

Mallory Distrubitor

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
Found out that the ignition system is lacking either a ballast resistor or a factory resistor wire.

This time I cannot get the optical module to function, and I\'m not reading 12v on the - side of the coil with the dist hooked up.

Summitt sells a replacement for 89.00
Ill add a ballast resistor and try again.
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
boy, I was really thinking ign switch, but I guess not.

Seems odd at best that it was fine for years with the missing resistor thing, but when things are not working and parts are missing, I don\'t have a better suggestion... Unless something has crapped out in the distrib - such that it passes its tests but has an intermittent fault.

Are there any boards in there that could have a cracked solder joint or wire trace? I\'d expect they\'ll be epoxy coated or similar and tough if not impossible to go through.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2237.0