TECHNICAL FORUMS > Product Reviews

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma cutting machine

<< < (2/6) > >>

ollllllo:
Crawl Magazing just had an article spotlighting the new Torchmate 2x2.
Ian Johnson wrote rave reviews on how easy the set-up was and how simple it is to operate.

Must be we did not receive the \"Ian Johnson\" special version. Photos in the article show color coded stickers for connecting the motors to the controller. Our had three different sets of set up directions. 1 on the software CD and two in print. They contradicted one another. We figured it out by trial and error. The article went on to talk about how you just assemble it, plug it all in, and start cutting. Not so with ours. After many hours of trial and error and searching for the motor control settings within the software, we finally we able to bring all 3 motors online and in synch.

After having to shim the gantry mounting brackets with washers (not supplied nor even discussed as a possible issue) we were finally able to operate the table manually to its full travel.

The final straw was when we started to work on a torch holder. The plate that attaches the holder to the gantry was missing a specific bracket that protruded 90 deg and allowed the operator to bolt on the adjustable holder. All photos on the company website and articles on Pirate4x4 showed this part as a factory welded attachment. Ours had nothing.

It has been tough with our work schedules lately to really get some adequate time on this machine. But I\'m very confident that after all is said and done, this little CNC will be a great addition to our shop and will help us create some really great custom parts.

At this point, I feel our only set back is needing more time and a larger plasma cutter.

smichaelR22:
Sounds like you are experiencing similar issues that most people have with the torchmates, learn work arounds, and eventually get it do work pretty good.

what was the total cost invested?  Ryans 4x5? plasma cam table was in the $7K range used.  I had the most seat time on it- i think it was awesome. just needed more plasma power to cut clean 1/4 or more.

MrMindless:
I\'ve heard the same from Pete on RightCoast and a couple others about the TorchMates.  Ryan\'s PlasmaCam was a cinch in comparison.

ollllllo:
I have all the confidence that I will work the bugs out and it will perform fine. My last cuts were dead on with only a tiny amount of slag left. I broke it off by hand.  Little bevel on the cuts of 3/16 and 1/4 but that is more an issue of under powered plasma.

Total investment
$2300 machine & software
$150 water table & wheels
$275 adjustable torch holder
$1200 miller 375 plasma cutter (we had the plasma for 2 years prior to purchasing the torchmate)
Total
$3925

Plenty of alone time with my girlfriend teaching me how to use CAD lite,
Priceless

smichaelR22:
thats not too bad for what its capable nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version