http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma cutting machine

Author Topic: Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma cutting machine  (Read 21109 times)

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma cutting machine
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
We took delivery of this a few weeks ago.

Due to a very busy schedule, Its been sitting in the back of the shop awaiting set-up and fabrication of a torch holder.

With little, to no time over that past few weeks to fabricate a custom and much less expensive version, we elected to purchase the torch holder that Torchmate offers. It should arrive early this week.

Scored the stand for $10 at a garage sale!
Just needs $5 in spray paint

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
Re: Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma cutting machine
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
We decided to fabricate our own water table also.

Torchmate wanted $750.00

So I stopped at Rochester Surplus for $120.00 in steel.

I also installed a drain with a ball valve to help make changing the water easier.

The first cut is getting closer!

:pop:
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Camo1Ton

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
I still want to hook up about a copy of those link tabs. Keep it in mind and let me know.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
no sweat.
Just made some test cuts tonight, and after some tweaking we will be in business.
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
So after some initial tweaking and struggling to learn the CAD Lite software. I have finally started to make some actual parts.

First was a bracket to help triangulate my NEW Modified CJ tire carrier.

Cut from 3/16\"

I made a pattern out of poster board
Scanned it into the PC
Cora imported the photo into CAD and traced it to scale. She  then exported it to the TorchMate 2x2 Software on the laptop and I brought it out to the shop to cut.

Total elapse time from start of pattern to pulling it off table = 30min

The learning curve for the software is much bigger than I expected and I havent had much time to sit down and play with it my self. Something called WORK has been keeping me very busy.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
Crawl Magazing just had an article spotlighting the new Torchmate 2x2.
Ian Johnson wrote rave reviews on how easy the set-up was and how simple it is to operate.

Must be we did not receive the \"Ian Johnson\" special version. Photos in the article show color coded stickers for connecting the motors to the controller. Our had three different sets of set up directions. 1 on the software CD and two in print. They contradicted one another. We figured it out by trial and error. The article went on to talk about how you just assemble it, plug it all in, and start cutting. Not so with ours. After many hours of trial and error and searching for the motor control settings within the software, we finally we able to bring all 3 motors online and in synch.

After having to shim the gantry mounting brackets with washers (not supplied nor even discussed as a possible issue) we were finally able to operate the table manually to its full travel.

The final straw was when we started to work on a torch holder. The plate that attaches the holder to the gantry was missing a specific bracket that protruded 90 deg and allowed the operator to bolt on the adjustable holder. All photos on the company website and articles on Pirate4x4 showed this part as a factory welded attachment. Ours had nothing.

It has been tough with our work schedules lately to really get some adequate time on this machine. But I\'m very confident that after all is said and done, this little CNC will be a great addition to our shop and will help us create some really great custom parts.

At this point, I feel our only set back is needing more time and a larger plasma cutter.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
Sounds like you are experiencing similar issues that most people have with the torchmates, learn work arounds, and eventually get it do work pretty good.

what was the total cost invested?  Ryans 4x5? plasma cam table was in the $7K range used.  I had the most seat time on it- i think it was awesome. just needed more plasma power to cut clean 1/4 or more.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
I\'ve heard the same from Pete on RightCoast and a couple others about the TorchMates.  Ryan\'s PlasmaCam was a cinch in comparison.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »
I have all the confidence that I will work the bugs out and it will perform fine. My last cuts were dead on with only a tiny amount of slag left. I broke it off by hand.  Little bevel on the cuts of 3/16 and 1/4 but that is more an issue of under powered plasma.

Total investment
$2300 machine & software
$150 water table & wheels
$275 adjustable torch holder
$1200 miller 375 plasma cutter (we had the plasma for 2 years prior to purchasing the torchmate)
Total
$3925

Plenty of alone time with my girlfriend teaching me how to use CAD lite,
Priceless
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
thats not too bad for what its capable nice.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Torchmate

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:37:57 AM »
Hi!

My name is Bill Kunz and I am the owner of Torchmate.  I saw this thread and just wanted to drop a note.  This little 2x2 machine has been a great success and a great challenge at the same time.  We were not completely prepared for the demand that we experienced for it through most of 2010.  We had to make some personnel changes and quality control changes in order to keep up.  There were some things that we found in regards to testing here in our shop and lining things up.  Some corners were being cut.  It has been a learning process for us as well.

I am confident that you will enjoy the machine.  Know that we have done our best to find a balance between being a hobbyist only system that is simple to use, but has limitations, and a more production friendly system.  Please feel free to email me direct (bill@torhcmate.com) if you have problems and I can light a fire under one of our tech\'s here to get you fixed up quickly.  While there is a learning curve, it is like riding a bike.  Once you start to really understand and utilize the features in the TMCad program, you will find that there is very little that you can\'t accomplish.

Part of your purchase included free lifetime telephone technical support, so please do not hesitate to call regardless of the question. (866)571-1066.  There is nothing worse than sitting there not being able to figure something out.  It is the reason that we put such a huge emphasis on technical support.  Rarely is there a problem with the actual machine.  Usually the calls we get are more about training and education.

I really wish that I could be in all places, but there are a lot of these forums out there.  If you ever hear of anyone with one of our systems having a problem of any kind, give them my email address.  We want to be considered a resource for the shops that have taken the time and money to invest in one of our CNC systems.

By the way, nice score on the stand.  That looks perfect!

Bill

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
Wow Bill, thanks for registering and posting up - that\'s some stand-up service.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Torchmate

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
No problem.  Happy to be here.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Thanks Bill. It means a lot that you would take the time to research feedback and customer reviews on your products. Overall I am very pleased with the machine and its capabilities. Its perfect for me and small fab shops like mine.  The software was always going to be a hurdle for me personally but ill figure it out. The only real frustrating part were  the few issues we had like the software had the two motors moving in opposite directions from the start, and conflicting set up instructions from the software to the printed versions. We got it though, thanks to the help of my architect girlfriend and one other skilled draftman friend and a few beers.

My girlfrend lived acrooss the street from one of your salesmen, Josh back in Boston. He has been great to work with throughout the buying. And decision making process. And I have noticed the high level of product support on Pirate4x4.comas well. I will be posting more photos and reviews of the 2x2 and the parts we make on it very shortly.

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and show. Your dedication. Its greatly apreciated.

My girlfriend and I are planning a west coast wheeling trip and maybe we can stop in at Torchmate along the way. We want to see the new KOH / Ultra 4 buggy in person.
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
Thanks for the post Bill, it is really something when a CEO takes the time to reach out to customers, even the little ones.

I\'m the architect girlfriend, and here\'s the stuff I make in our Jeep Shop when he\'s not looking:

Project: Wine Rack for Dinner Parties

Design Concept: Most wine racks come in a 1 bottle display, or a multiple bottle storage rack. When hosting a dinner party, it would be nice to display the wine you are serving while having storage for the bottles you are going to serve. At my dinner parties, one bottle is never enough.  

I used Rhino to create a 3D model with double curvature, I then used a program called Lamina to \'flatten\' the project into .dxf cut sheets. Lamina accounts for material thickness, joint types, material stiffness, and sheet size, then nests the pieces, numbers them and prints out a pdf with all the info. I\'ve attached some images of the Lamina pdf\'s. It\'s a cool software, and cheap, and it even tells you the weight of the finished product, useful information when building parts.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2148.0