http://www.sharetrails.org
Bedlining XJ Floors

Author Topic: Bedlining XJ Floors  (Read 10779 times)

Offline xjh3

Bedlining XJ Floors
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
What are everyone\'s thoughts/experiences on bedlining the inside of a vehicle? It\'s not my DD. I\'ve heard it can be loud, hot in the summer, cold in the winter... But really easy to clean. My floors are in need of at least a driver\'s replacement pan, maybe more... I\'m debating on whether to replace it ASAP and be done or wait till spring and bedline the whole thing...
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
Re: Bedlining XJ Floors
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:09:22 AM »
My personal experience with bedlining the interior of a Jeep has been great.

I had \"Rhino Lining\" sprayed in my CJ7 and my SuperDuty bed.
It made a drastic improvement in lessening the road noise transmitted through the floor of the CJ.
It also prevents water that makes its way into any vehicle from seeping into the seams and gaps and starting to corrode from the inside out.
 ex. Wrangler & CJ roll bar mounts
I absolutely love it. Because my JEEP only sees a top in the winter, my spray in liner has had a workout.
I only have slight fading (black liner) due to UV rays, and minor damage on the very edges of the tailgate where the material is at its thinnest.

I have never tried the DO-IT yourself brands such as Hurculiner and Durabak, but from what ive heard they will basically yield similar results, without the cost. But ive never seen on that looks a good as spray in.

One of our CLUB Sponsors, Custom Truck Creations, performs spray in liners for truck beds and JEEPS.

I just had them spray a CJ7 for a customer of mine. It turned out spectacular. My customer chose a Dark Grey color and its sweet. Their product goes on much more uniform.
If you decide to not do it yourself, give Larry a call!
Custom Truck Creations Info

Good Luck, and keep us updated!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
It won\'t insulate noise and heat like the carpet and mat does, but on a rig left topless or one that sees too much nastiness for carpet to do well, it\'s vastly better than bare steel floors.

I have bare steel in the Dakota and it\'s loud and hot.... I Herculined the back of the doghouse I built in the Cummins when I did the 13sp swap and put dynomat over the top side of it, and that did a decent job of quieting things down, but I then put the thick stock carpet over it too and I\'d still like to add another layer of thick rubber or foam.

My results with the Herculiner are that it\'s a much thinner layer than what you get from a spray in.  It\'s easy to work with and the results are great but it\'s a harder finish and unless you do 4 coats or more it won\'t be that 1/8-3/16\" thick layer that you can get from a Rhino or similar spray in.  I think for a sole floor coating a professional spray in would do worlds more for noise and heat.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
I used herculiner on the interior of my xterra and never had a heat or cold issue, but the vehicle was tight and had a functional heat and AC. As for the noise, I didn\'t notice a difference over the tire noise from the MTR\'s.

On one big complaint about the heruliner is the texture. It is extremely abrasive, like touch it and you get a scratch. The rough texture also traps dirt which is hard to clean out.

The cost difference between herculiner and cutsom truck spray in pricing will be a couple hundred bucks.

If you do decide to go with a do-it-yourself, make sure you prep the metal perfectly, or it will flake off. (Speaking from experience here)

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:36:53 PM »
you still had carpet over in it the X from what I recall - BIG difference....
Michael Maskalans
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline xjh3

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
Well I think I\'ll wait till it gets nice in the spring, fix all the floor pans that need attention and go ahead and bedline it. I always like to do things myself, but it sounds like having it professionally sprayed yields more the type of result I\'m looking for... I suppose my cashflow come spring will dictate which way I go more than anything.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline xjh3

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
And yeah... the carpet would be going in the trash after this. When I pulled it up to check out the floor pans the smell reminded me of a moldy abandoned house.
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
No carpet in the xterra. I didn\'t notice a hot or cold or noise issue.

It was my daily driver for 7 years, 160k miles.  5 years without carpets.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
I could have sworn when I asked you about this a couple years ago you\'d told me you put the carpet back in over it.  well there\'s a good review of exactly what you\'re looking for then, xjh3.
Michael Maskalans
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 06:16:35 AM »
I had floor matts.

Dragon

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
I\'ll admit, I don\'t have any personal experience with lining the inside of a Jeep.  Line-X is something I\'m hoping to afford in a year or two.

However, I research things a LOT, and many members of the various Jeep JK forums have been commenting positively on a do-it-yourself product called Raptor Liner, by U-Pol.

My biggest reason for looking toward Line-X is:
1) I\'ve seen the difference between Line-X, Rhinoliner, and Hurculiner, and of the three i prefer the look and feel of Line-X.
2) Time.   I have so little of it thanks to work and home responsibilities that I really don\'t feel I can take the time to do a proper \'home job\' that won\'t flake up in a few months.  I\'m willing to pay a little extra to have a pro do it.

Offline carchameleon

• Club Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
i used rustolium bedliner when i ripped out the carpets in my tj, it covers nicely, its not much louder than it was before, haha.   looks great too, i used a quart, did 2 coats and still have some left over, not to expencive either.
76 CJ7
06 Mazda 3
05 f150 crew cab

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »
Ill post some pictures of the job Custom Truck Creations did in my customers CJ7.
Its the best looking Spray-in Liner Ive seen to date.

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Camo1Ton

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
One thing I learned this past summer was about interior color and going topless. My interior is all black and very hot when the sun beats on it. Left the skin from the back of my legs burnt to the seat one time. When floor repairs are complete, I\'ll be going with a light color.
Just something think about.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
funny, Ive never experienced an issue with the black spray in liner. HOT is HOT in my book. and I burn easy anywhere.

But, I agree,  a lighter color will definitely be nicer on a hot summer day.
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2142.0