https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
discussing tire performance from the WP trip 10/27

Author Topic: discussing tire performance from the WP trip 10/27  (Read 6246 times)

MassiveAttack

discussing tire performance from the WP trip 10/27
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
I started this to discuss with those who were at the pines last weekend the tires they were running and how they performed.

I invite anyone to join in, but I\'m trying to avoid the \"I have this and it\'s great.\" endless discussion about how \"my\" tire is better than yours. I want to get a better idea what those who were there had and how they performed in the specific conditions of last weekend. Include in your discussion size, pressure, lockers, and how you felt they performed in the various conditions.

I saw some really gnarly tire that seemed to easly clog and pack with  the semi to very wet loamy mud mixed with wet leaves.

I will start by saying that my 31x10.5 firestone A/Ts (no locker) did quiet well. I aired the rears to 14 lbs, and kept the front at 35 lbs. I noticed a lot of spin but seemed to maintain a good forward movement up hills and in the wet leaves and wet mud. The semi-wet loamy mud yielded more difficulty keeping requiring more forward momentum and wheelspin.

FairportX

Re: discussing tire performance from the WP trip 10/27
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:35:50 AM »
Interco\'s bias ply Super Swamper LTB, 31x11.5x15 tire pressure on road is 24 frt and 19 rear, off-road tire pressure I run 12 frt and 10 rear. The only time I get stuck is when I get high centered.

meangreen

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:32:29 AM »
as far a being at wispering pines during this trip, I was not there but I have been there atleast 4 times in the past and I have done it in 3 times in the rain. I have been on bf goodrich mud tarrian, bf goodrich AT\'s and super swamper irocks. as far as cleaning out the tread the AT\'s did alright with some decent wheel speed. good alaroud tire for people who do 80% street 20% wheeling. as far as the mud terians they did better at cleaning the tread out at a slower speed than the ats but they don\'t handle the road all that well in the rain or snow(needs sipped to do better), If you run your veichle during the winter you should have more than one tire. I say they are for people who do 50% 50% road/ wheeling. As far as the irocks They were as the best tire I have used yet.They dig themselfs throught the mud great. they dont really get clogged up at all (execpt in heavy clay and they still clean with a little wheel speed) they also work geat on the rocks. the only major issue with this tires is that they are made out of a very soft compound and if driven on the road they will wear very fast. so they are a 10% road 90% offroad tire.
       So as far as an offroad tire I would chose a iroks with no qualms about it (even though I am going to go with a tsl on my new rig due to tire size) and as far as a all around tire a \"sipped\" mud terrians and if you want a good tire that you go wheeling every once in a while go with the AT\'s.

Offline hawker

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
My stock \'06 LJ (TJ Unlimited long wheelbase) runs 30\" GSA Wranglers.   I have open differentials.  I  aired down to 18 lbs. all around and me and Mr. MoMentum did (to me) surprisingly well!  I find that side-ways slipping is more worrisome than forward progress.

Scott
hawker
2020 Jeep Gladiator stock Rubicon
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ - 2-door, long wheel-base) -- 4" lift, 33" MTRs

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=213.0