http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
2nd Public Meeting Oct. 19, Northumberland OHV Park

Author Topic: 2nd Public Meeting Oct. 19, Northumberland OHV Park  (Read 24562 times)

Offline CoraC143

Re: 2nd Public Meeting Oct. 19, Northumberland OHV Park
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
I was misquoted a bit, but they got the main idea.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »
this is about as much detail as was given on the proposed \"life safety system\" at the meeting.  It\'s pretty clear no research beyond what was stated at the meeting was done....

http://newsitem.com/news/defense-contractor-may-provide-security-systems-for-the-anthracite-outdoor-adventure-area-1.1053699
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
[color=009900]Posted on the Rausch Creek Forum by Bruce Shallis[/color]

Guys here is the official “RC” political response to the Northumberland County\'s OHV Recreation Park.

I was on the drive back with the team all night from a WE Rock event when one of our board moderators called me about the thread.  I asked them to pull it since we where on the Ohio turnpike and I would put up a post when I got home.  This is why the original thread was pulled that Mike posted.  NOT to stir the pot or cause drama.

We at RC are not against it or opposed to the project.  As wheelers we need more places to go.  I hope the project turns out for the best for all of us (we like to wheel to).

But please understand our message forum is for our business not to promote other projects or companies unless they are a park sponsor.

If you want more info on the project in Northumberland please contact them on their site at http://www.ohv.norrycopa.net/index.htm

I hope this clears the air

Bruce
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
I found some comments posted on the local (northumberland county/ shamokin) newspaper website, in regards to our club and the past public meeting. It\'s amazing how easily we can be misquoted and misunderstood. Some of local\'s comments, however, are quite refreshing and forward thinking.

http://newsitem.com/opinion/editorials/sound-off/sound-off-10-24-10-1.1053243

\"Let locals decide

I am responding to the person who commented only that a few locals live near or use the 6,000 acres for the proposed OHV park. You must belong to that off-road club up near the Finger Lakes in New York that commented at the last meeting and occasionally visit our area. If you think 30,000 residents who live adjacent to and use these lands are \"just a few,\" you\'re inhaling too much high-octane fumes. If you think we do not use these 6,000 acres for our non-motorized recreation, you are truly being misled. The last meeting the local residents\' voices were heard loud and clear on comments to oppose this park. The only people who were applauding in favor of this park were the non-locals. The steering committee, planners, county and local politicians should take the blinders off. Why not let the residents who reside adjacent and enjoy these lands vote and let their voices be heard?\"
[color=009900]
(none of the FLX-4x4 members present at the meeting mentioned anything about how few local people frequent the property)[/color]

\"Eye-opener

The lady from Rochester, N.Y., who took the tour through the proposed OHV park and observed all the garbage thrown about, underage children riding and the gentlemen with the beers in their hands doesn\'t know the half of it, does she? Welcome to Northumberland County. Oh, and I wonder if the people are going to want to buy a pile of cut chains and cables, broken gates, ruined locks and destroyed signs I have for sale?\"

[color=009900][color=0066FF]
(I can only imagine what it would be like to have my privately owned land be treated the way people treat the county owned land. This was probably been written by an adjacent property owner who has ATV/4x4 users trespassing on, and disrespecting his land.)
[/color][/color]

\"Wallow in mud

Some years back we missed out on an opportunity to have a federal prison built in this area. It seemed to me that it was the apathy of some of our citizens that caused this endeavor to fail. Nobody wanted it here. Now we may have an opportunity to have an off-road track for all-terrain vehicles. It seems like nobody wants this either. \"Bring industry here instead,\" they cry. People, that\'s not going to happen any time soon. But it has a better chance of happening down the line if we show others that we want a chance to improve our area and bring jobs, no matter how many, here. It\'s time to move ahead rather than move backward or wallow in the mud.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
some more good comments

\"Trespassing

I am calling about the ATV park. I am reading the article this morning and I would like to address the idiots that are crying that they might have to pay to use the land because they used if for free for years. You didn\'t use it for free for years. You broke the law. You trespassed and you were on the property illegally. If you can afford to spend thousands of dollars for an ATV, you can spend a couple more dollars to use the property legally. I think the ATV park is the best thing they have for this county so far.\"

\"Pay the fee

I am reading the paper about the ATV park about this guy crying because he would have to pay to ride on it. I tell you what, taxpayers pay for it. If he wants to have his fun, then pay the fee.\"

\"Great idea

I would like to say about the ATV park: I think it is a great idea, and I do ride. It is a beautiful area that can be cleaned up and made even nicer. The only reason most of the people around here don\'t want the ATV park is because they use it for drinking, booze and taking their drugs. They go out there and leave all the trash lying around. It is also their dump for the stuff they don\'t want to pay to get rid of the way they are supposed to. Frog\'s take: You make a good point, but not everyone who rides is in that category.\"

\"Footing the bill

Regarding your article in the paper about the meeting on the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area. On page 7, it is stated that the local tax payers would foot the bill for insurance costs and liabilities. Could you be more specific on that? How much is this liability insurance going to cost the taxpayers? Because that could be very expensive and I think we have the right to know.\"

jimsh

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
I was waiting patiently for someone to bring up that point, the locals are complaining they will have to pay to use property they now use for free. If it is county owned land and you are on it without permission you are trespassing and not using. This i believe would  apply towards campers, drinkers, hikers and off road use. My suggestion would be to have the county police at the next meeting and write everyone of them a ticket for trespassing, how would they like that fee? Seems like it would be cheaper to pay to use the property than risk a fine. Hell if i had 100 people there saying they use the property without permission ild talk about fines for property damages and garbage disposal.
So if you are out there now, without permission and you get hurt, it is county owned land the county is still liable weather you were trespassing or not. So wouldn\'t it be in the counties best interest and cheaper to have liability insurance that the cost will at least be offset by the admission price. Just my thoughts, maybe good for input at the next meeting.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 08:32:27 AM »
I don\'t know about PA\'s general obligations law but in NY and most other states the landowner is NOT liable if they are not charging for access.

Also, the land is not posted at present time so current users are not actually trespassing - PA law on that was confirmed at the meeting.  That doesn\'t make dumping and such any more legal though.

Just adding a bit more actual info.  Thanks for passing along some comments Cora.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2101.30