http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
WARN rear bumper with tire carrier

Author Topic: WARN rear bumper with tire carrier  (Read 5591 times)

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
WARN rear bumper with tire carrier
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
We just installed a WARN rear bumper with tire carrier we ordered from Quadratec. Now, I typically dont steer people directly to WARN products mainly due to the high prices. But after seeing this product first hand, Im still a firm believer in \"you get what you pay for\".

We all know WARN makes some of the best winches on the market and they have some of the best warranty coverage also. But I feel with this model they made one of the best tire carriers I have seen and used. Its simple, heavily reinforced, and very , very solid. They state no more than a 36\"x12.5\" tire. We installed it in about 2 hours. (taking our time) However in this case the 1980 CJ7 had some missing / broken captured nuts in the frame, some stress cracks in the rear cross member that needed to be repaired prior to bolting the bumper on.

Pros:

The powder coat is perfect.

Greasable tire carrier pivot made of a 1-1/2\" solid steel shaft with poly shims to keep it quiet and tight for a long time.

Heavy duty rubber bumper at the latch to prevent rattling and latch damage.

Super clear directions for installing on either TJ / YJ / CJ

All the required shims and support brackets were included.

Heavy duty tire carrier pivot support bracket

Cons:

Fairly heavy

The driver side frame reinforcement brackets did not line up with the existing frame holes (3/8\" off set) I believe we received too passenger side brackets.

I remembered JP magazine did a bumper / tire carrier test comparison a few years back... does anyone remember what the WARN scored? Just curious what the JP guys rated it!

[color=009900]8 out of 10[/color]

Retail price is high @ $802 for a CJ & $1438 for a JK from Quadratec
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: WARN rear bumper with tire carrier
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
I liked the Warn sliders that I had on a TJ.  They were priced very competitively and made well.  I\'d buy them again.

Also like the color orange!

But I prefer my Rockhard bumper/tire carrier.

stuck

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »
let me add my two cents.  I have had one for about 6 years.  Couple things to consider are, the pivot is not a bearing.  Mine is very hard to move now (and i kept it fairly well greased.  The inner bolts that hold it on are a pain to get at without removing the gas tank (TJ) which isn\'t an issue once, but it has made it a large task to repair the not working pivot.  
The hitch is not rated for towing.  Don\'t get me wrong, this is most likely an insurance thing, but it has caused problems when trying to grab a uhaul (no safety chain provisions.  
Lastly the powdercoat tends to flake at the welds.  Mine is not driven in the winter often (1 time a month..)
On the positive side it has been more than strong, gives more clearance than the stock bumper and with some paint and a welder will tow and hold a highlift...
-Pete

Camo1Ton

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
I like how they went to a double shear on the pivot shaft. A friend of mine had the shaft snap off at the bumper, probably from welding heat.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2064.0