http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
RCROCS round3 Aussie locker buggy Class4

Author Topic: RCROCS round3 Aussie locker buggy Class4  (Read 6202 times)

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
RCROCS round3 Aussie locker buggy Class4
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Ryan decided to give class 4 a try at Rausch creeks\' RCROCS series with the Aussie locker buggy- i volunteered to spot and give him a hand this weekend.

The ride down was uneventful, mike wolf with his TJ and Ryan and Liz headed down with myself not being too far behind.  We rolled in after dark, enjoyed a clear sky around a bon fire and headed for sleep early as tech started at 7:30.  

Ryan and i were up early, checked in, passed tech with the addition of a 2nd fire ext and headed out to walk the courses.  They were about as evil as we expected for class four and we decided our goal was not to get last place and keep the buggy off its lid.  50% of our goal was met as you will read on.

we were second inline at our first course, had a plan, and started.  i believe we made the first two gates with a little maneuvering pushing the buggy harder than i have ever seen on its roll limit.  made it to the camel back at the top and unexpectedly got hung up and ran out of time. received a score of 38.

our second course wasn\'t as much off camber, but rather more technical obstacles. made it through the first gate, but wile positioning for the second trying to squeeze as much as possible with a backup, Atom took a hard tumble down the back side of the course.  Ryan was ok, and the buggy appeared to be ok, but soon found a spindle had ripped out of the buggy and left atom immovable.  we were done for the day.  

After extraction by crane and lifted back to the trailer and close inspection, it appeared that less than gradeded nuts had striped out and a ujoint cab had popped.  

Mike wolf had broken a rear shaft earlier in the day wheeling, so we had two trucks to fix.  571 hadn\'t made it out of the trailer yet, but was ready.  After a stubborn locker and shaft change, a few new bolts and ujoint cap, all three rigs headed out for some casual wheeling the rest of the afternoon.  we ran trail five, which atom for the first time walked up the left side with newly water filled front tires, the big O, a few others, and came back to the comp to watch some action on the two hands climbs where spectators still gathered.  

We knew thunderstorms and rain were headed our way, and in the morning packed up and were on the road in the rain by 9am.  uneventful ride home.

Another great trip, Atom survived a few class 4 courses, and 571 is now back after the crash.  good weekend, awesome wings on the comp course for 5$!!!

Smike
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: RCROCS round3 Aussie locker buggy Class4
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
Good write up, smike!  Where did Mike W break the shaft?

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
i think on trail 31 over on the new property.  he went with red and a few of the rightcoast guys while ryan and I were on the comp course.
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »
The wings were great, so was the pulled pork sandwich I had for lunch.

The comp was a good experience. We did not come in last place so we could have done worse.

The buggy was pushed hard and I am still learning how to drive it and its limits.

Liz took a lot of pics of us on the comp course.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c182/Ryan_25/RcRocs%208-21-10/?start=120

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
cool!
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline k9keeper

• Orchard Kennels
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
I asked the guy camping next me to if he was here for the comp. He said he was from Kentucky and drove to RC not knowing there was a competition. He wheeled with Toyota guys the day before and I was welcomed to come along. The Toyota guys turned out to be Red from Right Coast. We headed off to the new property.

I guess I should have been more concerned wheeling with 2 Toys with beds removed and fully exo\'d. On the first big rock, the guy from Kentucky blew the hub off his passenger front. He decided he was done for the day. We got him back to the parking lot and head out again. We wheeled through some pretty cool washouts, then headed down to 31. I think we made it half way through 31 where we encountered a stair step that was a little much for my 33s to climb. The rear was all set to climb the rock, but the shaft gave out instead.

Strapped a log to the outside of the wheel, and slowly drove it back to the parking lot. I headed off to find a replacement shaft and saw Atom hanging from the crane headed my way. Ryan and Mike helped me get the TJ fixed while they fixed the buggy.

Waking up to rain on Sun. kind of sucked. We were dry in the tent, but we didn\'t stay that way when we decided to pack up and head home.
K9keeper

97 TJ  3 inch lift  Aussie Lockers
2006 GMC Savana G3500 Duramax Diesel

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2047.0