http://www.sharetrails.org
CJ shock recomendations

Author Topic: CJ shock recomendations  (Read 9316 times)

JCJ

CJ shock recomendations
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
I\'m in the process of putting together a 2.5\" lift for my CJ and looking for shock recommendations geared towards 75% street driving but still capable on the trails.

I\'ve been considering the Pro-Comp ES9000 mainly based on price. They seem to have good reviews, at least for the money.

Part of me wants to go the Bilstein 5100 route. I\'ve used Bilstein for years in various racing applications, they are really hard to beat for a wide variety of vehicle types as an out of the box shock. I\'m just not sure I can justify the price at this time but could be pretty easily persuaded.

So, any good experiences with any particular brand or model?

What dealer generally has the best deals and customer service?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: CJ shock recomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »
I\'ve heard good things about both of those, as well as Edelbrock IAS.

I know there are better performing options out there but personally I\'m hooked on the adjustability of the Rancho 9000 model.  I\'ve had two sets of them on the Dakota and they\'ve put up with a lot due to their triple tube design.  I love the adjustability in large part because I\'m in a non-stock application for pretty anything, so it\'s not like I can choose something based on proper valving.  That\'s not really the case in the \"mildly lifted Jeep\" crowd where a 2.5\" CJ is probably a listed intended application from many manufacturers.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I have run the Bilstien 5150 piggy back res. Shocks on 2 CJ7\'s now. One mainly trail and one that seems to spend equal time on and off road. The advantage of the piggyback is that you get more travel while still using the factory mounting positions. They are adjustable in regards to where you can mount the res. Awesome characteristics on the highway especially onn a CJ7 with no sway bar. 100.00 each is expensive in comparison to other shocks on the market but you always get what you pay for. In my opinion these shocks work great under all driving conditions and don\'t need to be adjustable. From an empty Jeep to fully loaded with scuba gear and tanks on 390 they always feel consistent. With no harsh ride ever.
I also installed the Foam bumpstops as well. They help extend the life of the shock by not allowing it to bottom out on harsh drop-offs and extreme suspension flex.they simply slide over the shock eye, and become part of the shock. They are available in soft or firm. JKS makes them I believe. I purchased everything from Quadratec.

Hope this helps!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
i put 6$ Edelbrock IAS (i think?) on my CJ with no trail or street complaint.  We all bought a ton of them when summit had a couple day sale.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
I disagree with Erik on the travel issue.  Logically, it makes sense but I searched the Bilstien site and found that the travel between the standard and remote reservior is so close, it\'s not going to be a factor.

Check it out...

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
I dont see shock travel specs for the 5100 series within the link you provided, only the 5150.

I was simply stating what i found to be true when i was looking for shocks to work with my 4\" SUA lift on my CJ7. trying to find a shock to fit the factory upper mounts (so I didnt have to cut into the body) and allowing me to use lower shock mounts that I mounted to the axle tube. ( i installed a u-bolt flip kit which eliminated the factory shock mounts which were located on the spring plates)

I needed the same 10\" travel from a shorter shock.

Quoted from the Bilstien website...

“CrossFlow” Fixed Reservoir
Expands oil capacity for
enhanced cooling and
allows increased
rod travel.\"

Either way, you\'ll love any product from Bilstien!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
The site gives specs on 5150 (reservior) and 5125 (non-reservior), they\'re seperated on the site by a few pages.  I picked 2 with similar collasped lengths and compared extended lengths.

I\'m not knocking the Bilsteins, just couldn\'t find a length benefit to the remote reservior between the 2 they listed.

jimsh

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
I thought the advantage to the remote reservoir wasn\'t a length issue but a temp. issue, more cooling so they could work harder for a longer period and perform the same.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
Correct, Jim.  But, in theory, that should also equate to longer travel because you don\'t need to include the valving in the main shock body.

JCJ

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I ended up getting a set of Rancho 5100\'s as a temp solution. Next up will be shock mount relocation and some Bilstien 5150\'s.

Can anyone recommend a decent U-bolt flip kit?

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
You can make one yourself, or buy one for a couple hundred bucks. Most of us get u-bolts at thru-way spring in Rochester. I think the squared shaped u-bolts are $12 each.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Dynatrac u bolt flip kit

I bought this for my CJ7. although Im very happy with the product, its still a lot of money for something that can be easily made in a home shop.

Therefore I have copied it a few times. Using thruway spring square bottom u-bolts like Cora mentioned.

U-bolts
3/8 plate
some 1/2 round stock
welder
and drill press!

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

JCJ

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info, you talked me into it..8-)    $179 is nuts for $48 worth of U-bolts, $4 in steel plate and 15 minutes on a drill press..

Whats the 1/2\" round stock for?

My plan is to move the arb link mount above the spring, probably sandwiched under the axle tube..

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
The round stock is welded to the underside of the 3/8 plate to level / locate it on the axle tube.
Then under the leaf pack you need to make a u-bolt skid plate/ locater.
Round stock welded and ground on an angle - u-bolt space- center pin hole- u bolt space- round stock welded and ground to an angle.

I can post a pick of my version tonight.
The only thing to plan ahead for is if the plate contacts the diff housing onn the front axle like mine do on the CJ Dana 30.
I just cut the round stock shorter to compensate for the housing.
Keep us posted.
Good luck!

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2038.0