http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
COY HILL - UPDATES

Author Topic: COY HILL - UPDATES  (Read 11594 times)

COY HILL - UPDATES
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »
Another closing has happened.  Coy Hill and all of its trails are now closed.  This was a great location over on MA.

A fellow wheeler chose to cut some new trails and exit through a residents lawn.

Offline gCracker

Re: Coy Hill Trails Are Closed!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »
Where is the best place to keep up with these details?

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »
From 1st hand info... this place will be closed forever.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »
From Joe Joe Ostrenga of NEA

Here is my write up from my 10/12/07 visit with landowners Judy Anair, Richard Anair Jr., and Ware Conservation Commission Chairman Dave Kopacz.
I arrived just before 10am and was greeted by Judy. It was raining very hard and she noticed my YJ with only a bikini top, and invited me in for a hot cup of coffee. We did our formal introductions and while we were waiting for her son Rich and David to arrive, we scanned through the NEA brochure and talked about our mission statement and how we can help her situation. We then went over some of the material that Judy has collected over the last few years. Her notes and pictures included property damage dating back to 1998. This damage was from both natural causes and more recently, run-off due to trail cutting. Her notes on the trespassing was very detailed (dates & times), including license plate numbers and calls to the police. I will be receiving a copy of some recent video footage by Dave that clearly shows plate numbers and what areas they are trespassing in. I also have a map of the immediate properties with landowner\'s names. Richard and Judy, and also Dave, are friendly with many of them, as this is a very close community. Judy is a very nice woman, the kind you can talk to for 10 minutes and then you\'d think you\'ve known her for 10 years. She has been VERY lenient with the trespassers, far nicer than any of us would be if we were in her situation.
Once Rich and Dave arrived, we went through our introductions and went over the maps and photos of the activity. I just want to say, that these people have been through hell. At times, they have had minimal assistance from law enforcement and there are now people cutting down trees on their cart path right near the house. They have actually had Jeeps and trucks drive through their flowers and yard and exit the trail system via their driveway! It truly is unbelievable. The damage from the tree cutting and cart path widening have caused excess run off which ultimately makes it\'s way back toward the house and the homes down the hill. Dirt bikes and ATV\'s are also running in the area. Judy has recognized some ATV riders with chainsaws that had come in to widen trails so that they can return in their Jeeps
Despite the pouring rain, we walked for roughly 3 1/2 hrs and the entire route from the \"new\" trails behind the house, down to the existing power line trail. There has been trail cutting all over the place. I took many pictures to try and illustrate the damage but honestly, they don\'t do it justice. I will post the pictures soon. Some of the areas that are on private property, I have seen in my research on You-tube and web-shots. Run a search on Google and you might see some familiar rigs. Some probably don\'t know that they are trespassing. Others are not on the main trail and driving in a non-Tread Lightly manner. The video I will receive should help identify the renegades who\'ve been trail blazing. I\'m looking forward to seeing it.
Ware Conservation Commission Chair Dave Kopacz is very open minded to our sport. He would rather see the bulk of the trespassers educated through Trail Patrols and absorbed into organized clubs, than to have the area shut down. He understands that if the area is closed, the renegades will still get in and continue to cause damage. He was very reassured in that the NEA4WDC has the capacity to also assist in the repair of the damage caused by the renegades. I have already posted on the BSJ forum and would be able to coordinate a trail cleanup and/or repair as soon as next month if necessary. I\'m sure there are many others who would also volunteer their services, so we could get a decent sized crew. Dave also has access to several youth groups he works with who can provide additional assistance.
Now, for the good part! Mr. Kopacz seemed very impressed with what the NEA represents, as he invited myself and other NEA reps to the next Ware Conservation meeting at the town hall. The time will be 7:00pm on either 10/24/07 or 10/25/07. Dave will email me when they have a final date. He said that many of the landowners in the area will be there and that it would be the best chance at getting written permission for the organized clubs to wheel there. Finally! Written permission at Coy!!!! I will definitely be there and ask that anyone who lives close enough, to come down and help me out.

To summarize the next steps we need to take:

1) We need to post up that Coy Hill is currently closed until we can establish relations with ALL the landowners. Richard and Judy are continuing to take plate numbers down and we don\'t need any \"good-guys\" being mistaken for renegades. We need to spread the word to EC4WDA and other entities that I don\'t frequent. Can someone take care of this?

2) I need confirmation (documentation) that a landowner who does not charge a fee for use of their land, is not responsible if someone gets injured. To my knowledge, that is the way it works, but Dave mentioned it a few times and it would be nice to confirm. Can someone help me with this?

3) My next step is to contact the local law enforcement and establish relations. I attempted to meet with EPO Ramsey after my visit, but it didn\'t happen. I\'ll make the calls next week to get the ball rolling. Dave Kopacz can help me contact Ware Police Chief Healey.

4) I\'d like to try and organize a trail repair to fix the immediate trail damage and add signage. I will contact Richard and Judy and post up a recruitment list when we have a plan. If someone could send me a list of what/how many signs we have, it would be very helpful.

5) Draft whatever document is required that the landowners can sign in one shot to gain written permission. Do we have such a document at the ready?

6) Attend the Ware Conservation meeting at the Ware town hall. Anyone who can come down and assist, it would be appreciated.

I will keep everyone in the loop if there are any changes and the scheduling of the trail repair. Thank you to everyone for your support thus far. Despite the extreme damage I have seen, we have a great opportunity to turn this situation around.

Joe

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
Newest Details From Joe

Despite my progress with the land owners and Ware Conservation Commission, I have learned today that the state will be eliminating motorized access on the powerline trail that was previously available. That Hill is now CLOSED. This also includes the W Brookfield side of Prendiville road. The other roads that run through the area will remain open. Please reference the NEA forum for additional details.

http://forum.nea4wd.org/viewtopic.php?t=1797

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:16:05 PM »
well that is rather depressing, i dont feel like much working on the scramber now...  :cry:
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:58:13 AM »
Sad news.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
UPDATE!!  The following is an article published in the Worschester (pronounced Wuster) local paper.   Article on Telegrams Website

Stopping traffic

Off-roaders unwelcome at Coy Hill

By Bradford L. Miner TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
bminer@telegram.com

WARE— With its sheer rock faces, rock-strewn access roads beneath power lines, and trails cut into the mixed hardwood forest, the Coy Hill Wildlife Management Area, abutting Palmer Wildlife Management Area and private parcels, has become something of a mecca for Jeep owners from across the state and beyond.

Until recently, if one were to search Google for “Coy Hill” and “Jeep,” a host of forums of Jeep owners and clubs would come up, along with photos of Jeeps climbing rock faces and negotiating trails.

Now much of the wildlife management area boundary has been posted by the state Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, and the state Environmental Police has spread the word as officers encounter violators and trespassers that Coy Hill is off limits as a four-wheeling destination.

Lt. John Pajak of the Environmental Police said those who ignore the signs may be subject to arrest, stiff fines and forfeiture of their vehicles — whether they are driving Jeeps, dirt bikes or all-terrain vehicles.

William J. Davis, Central District manager for the state Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, said he has walked the site with Environmental Police officers and characterized the damage as extraordinary.

“The damage that Jeeps have done to the Coy Hill Wildlife Management Area is as bad as I’ve seen on any of the 35,000 acres of wildlife management land here in Worcester County,” Mr. Davis said.

He said there has been significant intrusion on wetlands, substantial soil erosion and an overall impact on wooded upland wildlife habitat, where new trails for Jeeps have been illegally cut.

Mr. Davis said all-terrain vehicle damage has been a recurring problem at many wildlife management areas in Central Massachusetts, and the damage at Coy Hill is primarily the work of full-sized off-road vehicles.

He said the Environmental Police told him that Coy Hill had been identified as a popular destination for off-road Jeep riding on several Internet forums and video Web sites.

“Those sites are now reporting that Coy Hill has been closed to riding. In fact it was never open. Motorized off-road vehicles of any size are banned from any wildlife management area in the state,” the district manager said.

Mr. Davis said wetland species in particular have borne the brunt of the Jeep intrusion.

“There was one wetland we looked at, a former beaver impoundment that was a quarter- to a half-acre in size, that had been literally turned to mud soup by Jeep activity,” he said, adding that at the edge of that wetland there was a great blue heron nest — “no doubt an active nest when the beaver were present.”

Mr. Davis said he was unsure whether any of the state’s endangered, threatened or “special concern” species live on the 550-acre parcel that abuts the 1,017-acre Palmer Wildlife Management Area to the west.

“Illegal riding of off-road motorized vehicles on WMAs statewide has been identified by the Fisheries & Wildlife Board as a priority issue, and a working group has been put together with representatives of our agency, the Department of Conservation and Recreation and the state environmental police. What we’ve found works best so far is a combination of education and enforcement at the local level, following trails to the source, knocking on doors, talking with abutting landowners. And then if our education efforts fall short, we follow up with enforcement,” he said.

Lt. Pajak said in light of the extensive environmental damage and the level of activity in the Coy Hill and Palmer wildlife management areas, the area would remain a priority for enforcement efforts.

“I have a written order from Maj. Bruce Bennett, inland enforcement bureau chief, that we’re to enforce all relevant laws, and if anyone is seen wantonly damaging wildlife habitat they are to be arrested, their vehicles seized, and the responsible parties pursued in court for restitution,” he said.

Lt. Pajak said that while working closely with area town police departments, he was also working closely with the state police, and the state police Air Wing helicopter would be one of the assets he would call upon if needed.

“If they are in the area, I can call them directly for spotting where vehicles are, and where they are headed,” he said.

Lt. Pajak said vehicle violators within a wildlife management area are subject to arrest, and the offenses carry penalties of a $100 fine or 30 days in jail.

“If there are wetlands violations, then Department of Environmental Protection regulations apply and the fines are considerably higher,” he added.

Mr. Davis said it doesn’t help when railroad tracks or power lines abut or bisect a wildlife management area.

“Both over time have proven to be major arteries for off-road vehicles of all sizes to get from point A to point B. Additionally, there seems to be a perception among many that it’s legal to ride on power company right-of-ways. In fact, 90 percent of those rights of way are over private property, and it’s up to the individual landowner,” he said.

While some private property owners do allow organized groups and clubs permission to ride on power company rights of way if they do it responsibly, Mr. Davis said it’s prominently noted in the wildlife management area regulations that all off-road vehicles are prohibited.

Lt. Pajak said the environmental police were made aware of the severity of the problem about a week or so before the Ware River News published an article headlined “The Battle for Coy Hill.”

“Among ourselves we talked about the extent of the problem, how many vehicles might be involved and how we would deal with it,” Lt. Pajak said.

At that point, he said, Environmental Police were unaware of the extent of the environmental damage.

An officer was assigned to that area on the weekend to assess the type and number of vehicles so that police could come up with an enforcement plan.

“After that first weekend, when I learned that groups of 30 or more — many from out of state — were riding in the area, I decided to assign several environmental police officers and worked as well with Ware (Police) Chief Dennis Healey,” he said.

“Chief Healey and I decided that Ware officers would patrol the parking areas along Route 9 and dissuade riders from any unlawful access or activity,” the lieutenant said.

“It wasn’t just Prendiville Road. Some were parking near Janine’s and crossing private property to get to the top of the hill. In fact there’s a brook there and some were going right up the brook to get to the road,” Lt. Pajak said.

The lieutenant said he had received a similar number of complaints about illegal riding in the abutting Palmer Wildlife Management Area and, as a result, officers were deployed there as well.

“We were essentially covering an area from Coy Hill Road west to Rondeau Road,” he said.

Lt. Pajak said enforcement efforts to date have included citing drivers, towing vehicles, and, in a couple of cases, arresting drivers.

He said there had been discussion of riding in the area with representatives of Underground Jeeps, a local riding club that has used the area in the past, but he’s not certain of the value of informing one club of the fact that the area is off limits and riders need the permission of private landowners for any four-wheeling — other than on Prendiville Road itself.

Joseph Kaminski of Oxford, president of Underground Jeeps, said he and the club members were fully aware of the restrictions.

He said his club had obtained the permission of several landowners in the area to ride on private property. He said the chairman of the club’s board of directors works for National Grid, another board member works for the state Department of Conservation and Recreation and one of the club members is a state trooper.

“As a club, we follow all of the pertinent regulations and if we see violations, we take down plate numbers and pass them along to the Environmental Police,” Mr. Kaminski said.

Lt. Pajak said as long as Prendiville remains a public road, it can be used by Jeep drivers, as well as by hunters going into the wildlife management area for game birds and deer.

“If at some point the road is legally abandoned by the town of Ware, the ownership of the road reverts to the property owners, and then it will be up to them as to whether or not they allow access,” he said.

It the road were to be improved with help from the utility company that uses the road to access the power lines, eventually it could be gated and keys given to those who require access, and opened from Nov. 1 to Jan. 1 for hunting season.

Offline gCracker

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
yeah, definitely does not sound good, but I also see that there are alot of people, EC4WDA and NEOW that are focusing on the issue, so hopefully we can use this as an example on how a closure brings the best out in people.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »

“Those sites are now reporting that Coy Hill has been closed to riding. In fact it was never open. Motorized off-road vehicles of any size are banned from any wildlife management area in the state,” the district manager said.

interesting.....
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »
From another site..  Dave Brill is the Land Use Chair for EC4WDA

Disclaimer: The last time I was at Coy Hill, was about 18 years ago.

This is what I know about Coy Hill. ONLY Coy Hill Rd is open for use. Any side trails, powerlines, etc, are not part of the original road and hence are technically not legal for use. There is a conservation area up there that the EPOs get pretty touchy about. As the letter above says, that EPO doesn\'t really have any problems with use in the other areas as long as people are being good.. However, dumping, overuse, partying, etc will eventually get enough local folks ticked to get everything fully shutdown.

The reason I have not been back there in nearly 20 years is because I have never been able to get ANY clear answer on this from ANYONE. That includes local PD, EPOs, etc. Within months I have heard people say they got stopped and told it was completely off limits and then get a letter saying the opposite...

I am working personally on 4 additional areas here in CT. One is the probability of of an \"Urban OHV Park\".. where we take brownfield (contaminated) property and show the municipality the money that can be made off a property they can\'t sell, due to its brownfield status.

If I have any positive news on these, I will let people know.

Talk soon,
Tread Lightly! Master Trainer
BRC
NAMRC
E4W
NE4ROC
CTJEEP.ORG
ORBA
SEMA/SAN
Brilliant Signs & Grafix
Guilford, CT

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »
Lets help Coy Hill open back up!!!

FRIENDS OF COY HILL

Re: COY HILL - UPDATES
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
Ware delays decision on road

Thursday, December 06, 200
By CHRIS HAMELchamel@repub.com

WARE - The Board of Selectmen has tabled any action on the status of a road in the troubled Coy Hill area where recreational vehicles have created potential for environmental damage.

Selectman John A. Desmond and Fire Chief Thomas W. Coulombe, respectively, asked at Tuesday\'s board meeting at Town Hall for input from the Planning Board and utility companies, such as National Grid, about Prendiville Road.

Board Chairwoman Nancy J. Talbot took Desmond\'s and Coulombe\'s requests into account, before suggesting the postponement of any board action toward closing, limiting access or otherwise altering the road.

Prendiville Road, which is on the town\'s southeast side, connects to a small portion of Coy Hill Road in Ware, before the latter branches off into both Warren and West Brookfield. The state\'s environmental police have recommended the closing of Prendiville and Coy Hill roads here, because of long-standing concerns about recreational vehicles traveling those routes and the adjacent Coy Hill.

Ware Conservation Commission Chairman David P. Kopacz has cited concerns about fire and flood potential, respectively, from visitors\' camp fires and use of fireworks and from their vehicles\' moving Coy Hill\'s soil and redirecting downhill water flow.

The selectmen have options on the status of Prendiville Road, including whether to legally abandon or discontinue the road. Town Manager Steven C. Boudreau said the town owns the road, where there are eight abutters.

He said that a discontinuance, which includes formal removal of the road from town records, would require a vote of approval at Town Meeting. Abandonment, which includes halting maintenance of the road, would require only the selectmen\'s approval.

Boudreau, who said he recently traveled the road in a vehicle with four-wheel drive, recommended that the path be gated, but in such a way that public safety vehicles will have access. In advocating for abandonment, he noted that there already is little maintenance of the road and only certain types of vehicles are able to navigate its rough terrain.

\"It\'s in very poor condition,\" he said.

He said that although there is less red tape involved in an abandonment, town counsel still would need to consult on the procedure. Desmond requested the planning board\'s opinions because the panel, by definition, is more familiar with town planning matters.

Coulombe wanted to know more about electric power lines in the area. He also noted that his department, during annual dry weather periods, fights several brush fires in that area.

Re: COY HILL - UPDATES
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »
PRESS RELEASE

Off-Roaders Support Local Community

The Friends of Coy Hill Organization cordially invites you to participate in their 1st Annual Ware Toy Drive, being held this Sunday from noon to 4pm at the Ware Public School complex lower parking lot on Route 32 in Ware Massachusetts. Donations can be in the form of unwrapped toys for children, ages toddler through teenager, by cash or gift card. All proceeds will be delivered to Officer Lavallee of the Ware Police Department, to augment the town hall toy drive. Please remember that firearms, alcohol and tobacco products are prohibited on school grounds at all times. Questions and concerns may be directed to the event coordinator at (413) 204-0804 or by email to Mike_Belben@yahoo.com.

Friends of Coy Hill is a nonprofit 4x4 coalition that represents the interests of legal motorized recreationalists at Coy\'s Hill and other abandoned public way networks throughout New England. The coalition wishes to foster relationships that are mutually beneficial to recreationalists, law enforcement, the local community and the environment through cooperation and education. To learn more, log onto www.FriendsofCoyHill.org

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=195.0