http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
losing my 258

Author Topic: losing my 258  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
Re: losing my 258
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
how bout the head? :)

JCJ

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Normally I would on speculation for a future project but I just finished filling a 10 yard dumpster here in Indy of all of my BMW, Indycar, crap, etc. And my new garage is about a foot bigger around than my Jeep,,  

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
sounds like you need a new garage not less stuff :)

JCJ

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 01:19:42 PM »
yep, one thing at a time.  I\'m planning to build a big 3 bay shop across the street but I don\'t own that lot yet. Also need to refurbish the boat house and we are already talking about an addition for the new house.. and we haven\'t even moved yet.. :banghead:

meangreen

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
I got tired of playing with my 258\'s (three in 1year) I went with a ford 302, It required no adapters just some parts scrounging. I get a little better gas milage that the 258 gave me and I don\'t choke out going up hills anymore (fuel injected) It only took me one weekend to put it in and do the wireing (its easy as long as you get a mustang version) I know you said that you didn\'t want to go to v8, neither did I If it was not for my friends pestering me to try it and giving me the motor I may not have tried it but There is no way you will see me go back...EVER.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
V8 are totally awesome, and you will never want to go back once you drive one.

JCJ

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
Not sure if I\'m lazy or if it\'s the purest in me but I really like the I6..  Even this old warn out rattle trap of mine has plenty of power/torque, although I realize a v8 has more.

I\'m getting 19+ average MPG on the freeway (GPS) and am very comfortable with my understanding and tuning of my modified crappy feedback Carter carb.  
I really don\'t want to deal with new exhaust fab, my I6 exhaust is brand new..  
The good news is that I am into this Jeep thing for the long haul so it will probably see a V8 at some point or I might just end up with a dedicated bastard trail rig in addition to my 85\' that will get all the big bells and whistles..

Of course if the right deal presents itself I could be talked into most anything, well, most anything hetero. :-D

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
Some CJ\'s came with V8\'s

I have a AMC 360 in mine, and I love it. ProJection, kinda a pain in the but, but it runs upside down and on it\'s side.

I have a 86 Grand Wagoneer with a 360 in it, in my driveway, that I haven\'t touched in a couple years. It\'s a future project, but if you want to make an offer, I\'m open.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »

JCJ wrote:
Of course if the right deal presents itself I could be talked into most anything, well, most anything hetero

:rofl:

I too am plagued with the curse of learning the I-6 to the point im anxious to start over with something new, but in my opinion...fuel injection on the 258 and its awesome. Now its not gonna be a KOH race buggy motor, but its going to perform fine on the street and on trail rides.

Stick with what you know until you absolutely need to change!
My only gripe about the I-6 is that not all parts are as readily available as Small Block Chevy parts for example. But still easier than AMC 360 parts!

good luck with whatever you decide.
keep us updated!  
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1608.0;prev_next=prev