http://www.sharetrails.org
Daily driver / weeken wheeler

Author Topic: Daily driver / weeken wheeler  (Read 11401 times)

MadMike454

Daily driver / weeken wheeler
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
I am looking to build a daily driver / weekend wheeler and i am on a tight budget. There are a few trucks i have looked at and was just wondering if anybody could tell me if ones better than the other? I have narrowed it down to a 94 ford fullsize bronco with a 302 manual locking hubs andfloor shift 4 wheel drive the only drawback to the bronco it is rusty but it comes with a set of 33x12.5x15 mud tires. my other option is a 93 fullsize chevy blazer that needs some tranny work. I dont know if theres any one truck better for what i have in mind or not? my main concern is i have a 17 month old daughter that will be with me from time to time so i need a extended cab truck or suv. my budget is in the 800-1000 dollar range to buy the truck and i will add parts little by little. id like something with a v8 for power and sound but i am considering all options. any ideas or tricks are welcomed or maybe you have an old truck sitting you want to get rid off?

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
Re: Daily driver / weeken wheeler
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
I have a 91 toyota pickup. its in rough shape but been good to me.

http://wheelingjunk.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c9ea4f671ccb76d336828e11293c2def&topic=36.0

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
I don\'t hear about Broncos bending/breaking the frame  just in front of the cab, or ripping steering boxes out.

I\'ve seen both with Blazers, personally, three times and twice respectively if I recall.

The steering box issues happen with crossover steering.  I believe stock is push/pull.  The frame issues happen when wheeled hard and not boxed/not caged to the front of the frame.

maybe Dopple can weigh in on if there are any similar Bronco drawbacks.  I\'d take the TTB independent front over the Blazer frame issues personally.  It\'s easier to swap in a live axle than it is to swap a frame.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
sounds like a cherokee maybe perfect for you.family friendly,bulletproof drivetrain with near v8 power inexpensive to upgrade and maintain.one can usually be found once a week on craigslist between 500-1500 and they are a little more nimble than a fullsize on the trail

MadMike454

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
what year was it that jeep put the 5.9 360 v8 in the cherokee? i know the 4.0 straight six is reliable and powerful but i havent heard one rumble like a v8. i was also thinking about gas mileage too and maybe a cherokee with the straight six and a 5 speed would be good.

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
98 was the only year with the 360.

I have a Cherokee for sale that doesn\'t run. think needs new head gasket but not positive it was overheated died and never restarted.

Camo1Ton

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
What about the full size Cherokee and Wagoneers. I got a 360 in my cj-7 from that era.

MadMike454

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
how much are you asking for your jeep crusarius? and can you tell me more about it?

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Mike, the jeep is a 94 cherokee 2 door with auto 4wd interior is very clean rockers are shot and the other typical rust.

has 4.0 HO in it but stopped running after overheated. most of the cooling system is new exhaust is new. used to run good.

make me an offer on it and we will see if we can work out a deal. I kinda thinking about scrapping it and putting the parts into a MJ but if the price is right...

MadMike454

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:49:42 PM »
300 bucks?

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
the parts alone that where put into it right b4 it stopped running are worth about a grand.

all new cooling system and all new exhaust. plus it has new tires on it. stock size but new.

300 is to low right now.

MadMike454

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »
yea that was a low offer i think but thats what i have for extra cash right now. I plan to after i do my taxes look for a truck maybe that allready has some work done. I want to find a truck or suv with an efi motor even if carbs can be cheaper I have to think gas mileage too.

dgray69

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
i am looking for a wheel only toy, it will be trailered to the parks, but looking for something my son and i can work on, and cheap, need not be road legal, it will always be trailered, looking to spend between 500 and 700, pm me if you have something for sale or trade, i know this is in wrong post but want it out there, thanx, Dave, ps preferibly within 2 hrs of oswego

MadMike454

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:22:30 AM »
so i just picked up a fullsize chevy half ton extended cab 4x4 with a 350 and a freshly rebuilt tranny with a shift kit. the only 2 mechanical issues i have are the turn signals dont work and with the truck in neutral and my parking brake on the transfer case makes a grinding noise when shifting to 4 low. 4 high it goes it like butter smooth. any ideas why it would grind? im thinking it may not have been used much?

Yukoneer

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
....turn signals dont work ......   the transfer case makes a grinding noise when shifting to 4 low. 4 high it goes it like butter smooth. any ideas why it would grind? im thinking it may not have been used much?

I had a \'93 fullsize Chevy and shifting into 4x4L will always grind a bit.  That is normal.  BTW, you don\'t need to set the parking brake to go in 4x4L, just put it in neutral.  You can shift it to 4x4H anytime even if in D if you\'re going under 20mph (if I recall correctly, 20mph or 25mph).

Regarding the taillights... check your towing wiring harness. Mine got corroded to a point where the wiring is spliced to the rear plug which messed up the turn signals.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1564.0