http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
new to Mud Nuts

Author Topic: new to Mud Nuts  (Read 12884 times)

txjfrosty

new to Mud Nuts
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »
I\'m new here.  Just wanted to say hey.

I drive a 2008 Dodge Ram QC 4x4.  I\'m looking for a place to try it out on some trails, or off road.  Nothing really crazy since it\'s still got a stock suspension.  My only mod is Pro Comp Rock Crawler rims with 305 65 17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT\'s.

I should have bought a JK Rubicon but it is what it is now.  Maybe next year I can trade in.

Anyway, Thanks for any local off road info...

Phil

XJ-Knight

Re: new to Mud Nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
 :welcome: Frosty

Well Frosty NYS is easily perhaps one of the worst if not the worst state for places to legally off road. If you don\'t know anyone with a good amount of land there are two places to choose from.

Most days of the year you can go to http://www.whisperingpineshideaway.com/ . They have a fairly good trail system and when wet it can be pretty challenging for a stock to moderately built ride. Call ahead as I know they have certain days for hunting. Also there is usually a Saturday or Sunday each month that some Mud Nuts members will head out to W.P for some wheel\'n..

They other place is http://dtrpmud.com/ witch is located behind What use to be called Lancaster Speedway. They usually are open to either a play day or as most of there days will be Rock Crawling and Mud Racing Comps. They are in operation from spring to fall. They do have a small and I mean small trail system to roam around in when Competition are not in progress.

Most who live in WNY and love to wheel usually just go to P.A.. Multiple off road park selections with Rauch Creek being the biggy..

Hope this helps and as always for upcoming events http://www.mudnuts.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=4

Offline GTJake

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
welcome. any pics of your truck?

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
Welcome!
I would recommend Whispering pines for a stock truck.
they have some obstacles that will be both fun and damage free.
Especially for a 2008.
we have some group runs there quite often, so keep an eye out!
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

txjfrosty

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
Thanks for the info guys... I\'ll have to check out Whispering Pines for sure.

Here\'s a few shots of my truck... I was thinking of trading in for a Rubicon, but since my truck is not that old I owe more than what the dealers would likely give me... so in the spring I\'m going to see about a 6\" suspension lift and some 35\'s.

The 3rd pic is my new truck and my old 2001 which I sold to my buddy.

Offline GTJake

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »
nice.

*if you do decide to trade at some point let me know. I work for a dealership and can get you the club discount.

txjfrosty

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
Dude that would be sweet!  I\'ve had a Dodge ram for so long that I just assumed I needed to have one.  After I bought this one I started looking on line at some of the Jeep JK forums and started to regret my purchase.

If come spring/summer I could get a decent trade for a 2dr JK rubicon I would rather do that than put a lift on this truck.

Anyway, thanks... I\'ll keep that in mind.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »
Don\'t 35s fit on that truck at stock height/ with a leveling kit?  I bet with 6\" you could probably fit 38s with some trimming.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

txjfrosty

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I can fit 35\'s now, but I get rubbing on the fender/bumper when turning.  If I had kept the oem rims(5.5\" back spacing) 35\'s would be good, but these rims have 4.5\" BS and cause the rubbing.

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
If you are into rocks or trail riding:
in the long run you would probably have more fun offroad in a smaller vehicle, like a JK, but there are some in the club that wheel full size trucks, and one in particular that has 40\" tires and does serious rock crawling.

If you are into mud:
Full size is where it\'s at.

txjfrosty

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:42:34 AM »
Cool, thanks for that info as well.  I\'m not really sure what I\'m into to be honest, as I\'ve never really done anything off a muddy logging road.

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:22:54 AM »
looks like an adequate tow rig to me.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
come to one of our trail rides, you can usually find a couple people with an empty passenger seat. Just post up in the upcoming events, then you can check it out.

txjfrosty

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I\'ll check the events forum... I\'d love to get to a trail ride soon.

I\'m leaving for Daytona Beach after X-mas for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two (since I\'m unemployed).

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone\'s info...

txjfrosty

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
hey smichaelR22 I was looking at some pictures from Whispering Pines...  Looks like a lot of fun.  

One question, I saw some pics with some decent hills headed into some nice muddy spots, do you think a stock height full size quad cab pickup will have enough clearance for some of those breakover angles given the length of the truck?

I ran a small trail on my way home today... just some mud, but enough to make me want a lot more...

or, maybe I can talk my wife into letting me take her cherokee...doubt it though

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1508.0