http://www.sharetrails.org
Moving to NY from AZ. Where\'s whe good wheeling?

Author Topic: Moving to NY from AZ. Where\'s whe good wheeling?  (Read 6208 times)

2dollah

Moving to NY from AZ. Where\'s whe good wheeling?
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi, I am moving to a small town (DeRuyter) about 30 miles South of Syracuse in a month or so. I have been looking for trails within 50-75 miles (or maybe even more) from where I\'ll be living and haven\'t found anything. I prefer rocks but understand there\'s more mud.

Anybody got any suggestions or help? Pics of my truck are included.

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
Re: Moving to NY from AZ. Where\'s whe good wheeling?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
why on earth would you move to NY!

most of us rock crawlers travel about 4 hours south to Rausch Creek.  Have a big trip planned for Aug 22.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

XJ-Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
First my apologies, this Welcome is quite lengthy and somewhat detailed.

Well to start I must say Welcome to the land of Taxes and Fees, lol. As for the wheeling question what is good to me and to you are gonna be two different things so I will approach the question in your possible thought process. In NYS everything is Private Land. Wheeling wise to put it mildly you have just down graded drastically. When I read your post and you said you were moving from AZ to NYS and asked where the good wheeling is? I\'m sorry but I started  laughing because of the limits to wheeling NYS legally is excessively high. Almost 0% Rock wise. The first thing I thought of is PA to answer your wheeling question.

To cover NYS to my knowledge you have a place called Whispering Pines which is just east of Rochester. It however is not what you would be looking for although it is a good time. Whispering pines has a great trail system but when dry it is very stock friendly and has next to no rocks. From there you have to head towards Buffalo. Dunn Tire Raceway park currently has a small rock comp course and will be growing in 2010 as they are going to be adding rockcrete but, For as little as it is, In my opinion It will not be worth going out of the way for you. I hope you like the snow. Cause in the winter you get the option of Legally wheeling seasonal roads. But still not helping with the rocks and perhaps I\'m wrong but snow wheeling probably doesn\'t do much for you. Tell me if I\'m wrong.

On to PA. North east Ohio as well. There are multiple choices when it comes to wheeling in PA and the North east part of Ohio and have a much better Rock wheeling option. By far in my opinion Rausch Creek is the most popular choice. Others that you find interesting Rock Run and Cable Creek. Both of those should be to your liking. There is a place called BeaveRun also but I am not sure what it gives you rock wise.. I know I missed some OHV Parks so I\'m sure someone can talk more in detail about the above or add on to them.

Sorry to bring the possible disappointment wheeling wise but this is a club of great people who are fun to hang out with and are always heading out to wheel.

:welcome: and I hope you have fun wheeling East Coast Style

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:54:14 AM »
2dollah, like Jon said you\'re going to be disapointed with your local choices.  Those of us who do rocks are heading 200+ miles to do so.  In the 200-300 mile range there is a decent variety of places in PA, OH, supposedly still some options in MA that I\'m not familiar with, as well as Gore VA on the outside of that range.

Good luck on your move, and I hope you\'ve still got a heater in the sweet beat Yota :)  I hate mud, but snow wheeling is awesome!
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline Scooter

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:34 AM »
Last time I checked the good wheeling was in Arizona.

Welcome to New York
-Scott
'97 F-150. 6" Fabtech lift. 37's (Expensive Lawn Ornament)
'08 Ford F-150 Crew Cab (60th Anniversary edition)
'07 Polaris Trailboss

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
hope you have a good reason to do that. I made the same mistake about 6 years ago and regretting it ever since.

course I do love it here.

hey I know that trail :) wheeled it a few times

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
who\'s rig is that in front of you? it looks like a campbell buggy.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1343.0