https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
Rear receiver tow point

Author Topic: Rear receiver tow point  (Read 6133 times)

gmshades

Rear receiver tow point
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
I thought this debate would be better on here than in an events post.

The trailer hitch can be used if you have a receiver with a shackle or tow hook. The hitch ball should never be used as a tow point, major safety problem.

I personally have just used the pin. If you have a 2\" reciever, a 2\" strap will fit. I have thought about a tow hook, but 2 reasons stopped me.
1 you never know what angle someone will pull you out and the strap could fall off a hook.
2. If the pin fails, I rather just have the strap and pin flying than a whole hook on a receiver. Course unless the pin shears on each side at the same time, it shouldn\'t fly out anyway.

I don\'t know, but I have used this method at mudnuts events along with others. If the rules have changed let me know. I just feel safer using a pin than a receiver hook.

Did I mention cheaper just to use a pin?

Glenn

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Rear receiver tow point
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »
I use the pin method but a D ring adds a lot of flexibility.  I don\'t like listening to them clank though.  when you get hung up in 3\' of water and you are trying to pin a strap into a pickup hitch from the tailgate, you\'ll be wishing for that D ring or hook though.  Ask Mat how he knows this :-)
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

FairportX

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
I have also seen pins bent to the point of no removal except cutting. I have used both pin and shackle and my personal preference is a receiver with a shackle.

gmshades wrote:
I thought this debate would be better on here than in an events post.

The trailer hitch can be used if you have a receiver with a shackle or tow hook. The hitch ball should never be used as a tow point, major safety problem.

I personally have just used the pin. If you have a 2\" reciever, a 2\" strap will fit. I have thought about a tow hook, but 2 reasons stopped me.
1 you never know what angle someone will pull you out and the strap could fall off a hook.
2. If the pin fails, I rather just have the strap and pin flying than a whole hook on a receiver. Course unless the pin shears on each side at the same time, it shouldn\'t fly out anyway.

I don\'t know, but I have used this method at mudnuts events along with others. If the rules have changed let me know. I just feel safer using a pin than a receiver hook.

Did I mention cheaper just to use a pin?

Glenn

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
agree

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:27:17 AM »
I just mounted a tow hook on the outside of each framerail. I drilled and tapped a couple of holes on each side just close enough to the existing large hole that I could get a backing washer and nut in. If I were to use a receiver, I think I\'d use one that was a solid 2\" square piece that had a hole in each end. One hole for the receiver pin and the other for a d-ring shackle. I think you can get them from quadratec for about 25-35 bucks.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=133.0