http://www.aussielocker.com
hub removal 89 cherokee

Author Topic: hub removal 89 cherokee  (Read 4932 times)

jlittman

hub removal 89 cherokee
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
I am trying to remove the front driver\'s side wheel hub to replace the u-joint.  I have removed the 3 hub to steering knuckle attaching bolts but I cannot split this 20 yr old assembly apart.  Any suggestions?
jon

ExplorHer4x4

Re: hub removal 89 cherokee
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
a B.F.H. if you have a new hub! or,
an air hammer, w/ flat chisel, one ear at a time a few times around,  then be sure to clean both sides flush before reassembly.  

on our super dutys front hubs (4bolt) you can leave the hub bolts loose, and with an assistant and the right well placed socket, use the power steering to \"press\"the hub out unscathed.

Then again, you might be working on one of these \'jeep\' things!

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:27:07 AM »
\"pressing\" with the power steering is a great trick.  be sure to have both sides of the front up if you attempt it so you don\'t fall off the jackstand.

when they\'ve been in for years and driven in the winter there really is no \"easy\" way.

Another abusive desperate trick can be to reassemble everything with the hub retaining bolts out and drop that corner of the vehicle a couple times.  I\'ve never attempted it, but I\'ve heard of it working for some others to break it loose initially.  Axle nut MUST be installed and torqued, otherwise the bearing will probably separate before it comes off the knuckle.

If you have a new unit hub, heat can help.  you want the knuckle hot to expand.

BFH and a chisel and/or air hammer are my methods of choice.  but it sucks no matter how you go after it.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline bear555

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
I\'ll vouch for the power steering method. I just put the front axle on stands,  had my wife turn the wheel while the engine was running, and while i held a socket extension in the gap with a pair of pliers (I like to be able to count to ten).

Worked like a champ, the axle nut was a little harder......

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1313.0