http://www.aussielocker.com
rubbing from the rear! sounds fun but it isnt

Author Topic: rubbing from the rear! sounds fun but it isnt  (Read 6432 times)

JerMan75

rubbing from the rear! sounds fun but it isnt
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
the has been a rubbing sound coming from the rear of my jeep since i got it. so far i have changed the rear breaks, and the oil in the front and rear pumpkins. my next guess is a bearing but to change that i will have to pull the axle and redo the pumpkin juice again.  anyone know any tricks to find out if the bearings need to be changed without actually pulling it all apart?  im also open to any other suggestions as to what might be causing the sound.  it gets louder when i accelerate, and isnt really notiecable until i get over 20mph.

i hoping to get this sound gone this weekend but i need to know what to pull apart to get rid of it.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: rubbing from the rear! sounds fun but it isnt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
what sort of sound is it? look for clean spots where something may be rubbing, check your ujoints too...
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JerMan75

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
it is a metal on metal rubbing sound that is constant when driving. it is louder when accellerating than it is when just coasting or cruising.  when ihad the rear end off the ground i put it in gear to see if i could pin point where the sound was coming from but my brother-in-law and i couldnt. the U joints are solid, but they do look like they could use a change.  how tough of a job is it?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
ujoints are easy.  but this is coming from a guy who has done front axle joints in a campground.  If you don\'t know how hard they are to do, they\'re probably a little bit tougher.  If you\'re not up to the job there are a few places you could go to get them done, including Blue Dog Jeep in Farmington, run by one of our members.
Michael Maskalans
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JerMan75

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »
well, i just finished changing the rear bearings and seals and the sound is still there. i guess the next step is the u-joins which are sitting on the passenger seat at the moment.  Is there a bearing on the yolk going into the rear diff that could be causeing the sound?

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
are you sure its not coming from the wheel,with new drums and pads if the star wheel isnt adjusted the ee-brake would cause it to drag giving a metal on metal grind

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
of course there are bearings in the diff, on the case and on the pinion.  You had to have pulled the cover when you did your rear wheel bearings, did the gear lube look good, with no excessive shavings? If so, the pinion bearings are unlikely.

I\'ve seen (and had myself) seals make some weird noises though.  I diagnosed by putting the rear on jackstands and letting it idle in 1st (block the front tires for good measure) and listening for where the noise is coming from with a can of lube in my hand.  a shot of silicone lube on my pinion and it shut up for a minute, and came back.  I ended up ignoring it, and that seal got changed later when I did my gears if I recall right.
Michael Maskalans
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JerMan75

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
well, i changed the u-joints on the rear drive shaft and it wasnt it. i didnt think it was, but my brother said they needed to be changed and they could be the cause. noise is still there. as  i suspected.  i think its time to have a pro take a look at it.  im totally at a loss now

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1099.0