https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
Crappy weekend

Author Topic: Crappy weekend  (Read 4472 times)

Offline bear555

Crappy weekend
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
So I spent the week end under my XJ.

I was putting on my 1.75\" BB and it SUCKED. It wasn\'t the lift, that part was ok just big rusty nuts, lots of leverage and penetrating oil took care of that.
I decided that while I was under my XJ I could put new shocks on. The bottom nut on the shock came off ok but both top bolts on the shock snapped off. So I drill the first one out and tap it. I break a few bits and drill out the second one and tapping it out when the tap seems to get stuck on something.
so just a bit more torque *SNAP* F%&#!!!
SO I broke tap off in the hole. I try a bunch of crap to remove the tap for about 2 hours to no avail. SO then I go to the HW store to get some propane and O2 tanks for my mini torch, and try to burn down my xj. So I get the tap and surrounding metal red hot an knock it out with a punch, while noticing that I\'m pointing the flame at the gas tank for a second or two.

So I was able to get a Stainless bolt and washer in the now gaping hole and tighten up the shock.

So exhausted yet victorious I go to take a shower and wash the pound of rust and metal shavings out of my hair and eyes.

So some time next week end I hope to do the front end till then Ill just drive around feeling like I\'m driving down hill.
... and maybe the other rear shock :(

-Bear

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: Crappy weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »
You are not alone...  Same thing happened with my TJ.

Offline GTJake

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:33:58 AM »
that sucks.

when i put the lift in my xj i didnt have a coil compressor so we used a ratchet strap to compress the coils to get them in. then i changed out the passenger front shock...the driver front shock is under the brake lines and hard to get to so i havent done it yet. my rear shock bolts looked like a PITA so i left them. havent run into any problems yet.

good luck

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »
whomever dreamed up bar pins as a good idea for mounting shocks should be keel hauled.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

fedrusion

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
When I did mine I drove around for a week without rear shocks cause I snapped the first one off. I ended up using a air chisle to pop the welded nut off the backside and just droped stainless bolts through the back.

Offline luvmyxj

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »
i feel your pain every original bolt on mine has to be either sawzalled,grinded ,drilled ,pressed or heated.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=959.0;prev_next=prev