http://www.treadlightly.org/
An ICON loses it\'s title

Author Topic: An ICON loses it\'s title  (Read 4733 times)

4X4ICON

An ICON loses it\'s title
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »
HOW AN ICON LOST IT\'S TITLE

There\'s this crazy, old guy who drives one of those built-up jeeps to work. You know... big tires, lift kit, winch... all the stuff to make his jeep \'cool\'. I have to admit... it is a pretty cool lookin rig. He likes to show off, I guess, during the winter by parking that jeep on the snow hills created when our company\'s parking lot is plowed. He must enjoy the attention of the other employees who have endless comments on the ability, spectacle or just plain nuttiness of this guy and his jeep.

So you come to work each morning and find this red rubicon either six feet higher than everybody else on top of one of these snow banks or you find this thing at a forty-five degree angle half way up the side of a huge mound of snow after one of this winter\'s big snowfalls. You just don\' know where you\'ll find it parked each day.

So, the other day, here\'s the \'jeep guy\' wandering around the building lookin for somebody to \'help him out\'. \"Out\" is the key word here, although, it should have been \"off\".

So we wander out to the parking lot and there it is. That old red jeep is sittin as pretty as can be... square on top of one of the biggest snow piles right at the entrance to the parking lot. It\'s higher off the ground than it\'s been all winter long. Really impressive.

As we wandered down the sidewalk toward the lot and got a bit closer, it was noted that the suspension on the jeep was as stretched out as far as it could possibly go. Articulated is what the \'jeep guy\' calls it. Well it was \'articulated\' all right. The belly pan, or \'skid plate\' was sittin just as square as could be on the pinnacle of that snow hill. The tires, on the other hand, were just kinda hangin there, dangling like limp wet dish rags hung over the edge of a sink to dry. Pretty silly lookin, if you ask me.

\"How you get her like that?\"... was the question.

I guess, for the whole winter the jeep guy had been boasting that parking the jeep on the snow mounds was nothin. He could have just as easily driven \'over\' those huge hills of snow if he really wanted to. Seems, everybody believed him. Everybody but his one tormentor... \"Oh yeah... sure he can, my ass!\"... was often heard as the tormentor passed by the \'did you see where he parked today\' conversations.

So, pride finally got to him... and the other day at the end of his shift he got into his jeep, slammed her into four-low, locked the axles and rev\'ed the rpm\'s. That jeep climbed at about a fifty degree angle straight up that snow pile fifteen feet above the pavement.  It crested the top as slick as shazit, nosed over the crest, back end came up... and there she stopped... sitting as level as could be...her skid plate dead center on a huge chunk of ice... all four tires neatly hanging with about two inches of nothing but crisp, cold air beneath them.

Well, I\'m here to tell ya... that \'jeep guy\' was feeling pretty deflated after all that boastin. Especially when the company\'s 1995 Ford long box two wheel drive van hooked on to his tow strap and gently dragged him off the top of that snow pile.

So, that\'s the day the ICON lost it\'s status.

That dang jeep hasn\'t been stuck since it was six months old... that\'s better than five years of happily truggin through mud, crawlin over rocks and gettin around, over or through everything else that\'s been thrown in front of it.

It lost it\'s status, when of all things, that jeep came to a grinding halt, mired in \'pride\'.

The moral of the story is... \"Quit the boastin! Lose the pride. Just enjoy the ride!\"

That\'s all it took... just gettin too cocky.

I knew better... I mean... the \'jeep guy\' knew better and shouldn\'t have tried to show off like a stupid school kid.

Fortunately, the tormentor didn\'t see what happened. And if you don\'t tell anybody... he\'ll never find out...

...but I... I mean the \'jeep guy\'... will never forget!

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: An ICON loses it\'s title
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »

4X4ICON wrote:

Lose the pride. Just enjoy the ride!

an important lesson.... no, wait, there\'s something FAR more important here, I think....

Fortunately, the tormentor didn\'t see what happened. And if you don\'t tell anybody... he\'ll never find out...

Yup! that\'s it, right there :)
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline GTJake

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:50:54 PM »
haha. Sorry Dave...but we all get stuck sometimes. now, with ALL those expensive cameras layin around did anyone get any pictures??

Offline k9keeper

• Orchard Kennels
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »
I know someone who experienced a similar silliness. The only witnesses were a bunch of dogs, the wife and child of the Jeep guy. Had to ask her to drive the tractor with the tow strap!
K9keeper

97 TJ  3 inch lift  Aussie Lockers
2006 GMC Savana G3500 Duramax Diesel

mavr1k

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »
Poor red rubi

Offline bear555

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
Darn I could have seen it! I work next store.

So next time you do some thing really dumb and need to be laughed at let me know! :)

-Ian

4X4ICON

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »
Dang...

Somebody at work DID get a pic on their cell phone.
I\'m scrapping up money now to buy the pic from him before it ends up on U-Tube... or here on Mudnuts.org.

hehehehe...

OK, OK... I\'ll post it as soon as he gives it to me... maybe...
how much will you give me to post it????

Offline GTJake

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
u post that pic and ill post the pic of my hydrolocking my XJ

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=941.0