http://www.treadlightly.org/
Samurai comp crawler

Author Topic: Samurai comp crawler  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Ryan_25

Samurai comp crawler
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
First off I am not too creative, so I dont have a cool name for my project. But here it is anyway. The plan is to make it into a class 1 RcRocs comp rig.

It is a 1986 Samurai tin top. It has the 1.3 liter motor that runs really bad. It just needs a little work on the vacuum lines for the carb. Easy fix (I hope).

It has almost new BFG muds on it already, So the plan is to do a spring over and weld the rear. Put a small exocage on it and go have fun.

I have already ordered new transfer case gears. I got the 6.5 trail-gear gears and a stronger front output shaft.

This should be a lot of fun and I will keep this thread going with all the upgrades and work that I do on this Sammi.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Samurai comp crawler
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »
still LOVE the single axle trailer.  I think I could just about tow that thing with my car.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline GTJake

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »
the barn looks wierd without a roof! haha

Dragon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »
I\'m sure the name has been done-to-death...but how about Mini-me?

Offline GTJake

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:56 AM »
LOL! or how about \"hard top ATV that fits on lawnmower trailer formarly known as samurai\"

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »
I got around to doing some work on this over the weekend.

The transfer case gears are in. With these 6.5 gears it barley moves in low range. It should be called 4-slow now. :)

I took it out around the yard tonight. The low range works again and works very well.

I ordered some Chro-mo front axle shafts. Now I need to decide if I want to weld the front or rear carrier. Any thoughts?

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I\'d think that welding the front would not be desireable because of the differentiation dynamics needed for turning.  
Welding the rear is much more tolerable than the front.  
Put a lunch-box locker in the front.

$.02

Offline GTJake

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »
he can only have one axel locked for comp.

id agre with welding the rear...can you limited slip the front?

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
personally being one of the shorter wheelbased carbed guys in the club, id weld the front and LS the rear.  i bet with that little sami a locked rear might push you harder like your on rails and inhibit steering.  a locker in the front will drag the weight up front in the direction you wana go.

i run an incorrectly clearanced lockright in the front (basically welded) and only have slight problems from manual steering soon to be swaped out for a power box
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

wnyjpgy

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
Here\'s my .02 from \"that other website\".

While we were competing last year we learned alot, steering is very critical, it\'s tough making some of the RCRocs courses, and on occasion we\'ve had to take cones on purpose.

So where am I going with this? as far as locking the front or rear is concerned, I would personally lock the rear.

Reason #1-We run a ARB in the front (YJ) with out turning it off, it can be very difficult to steer on the man made courses. As I\'m sure your aware the concrete is very abrasive.

Reason #2-During one comp we blew the ARB in the front, however we had a fairly steep climb to make and even though the front locker was junk the weight distributed to the rear while making the climb worked just fine with only a rear locker.

I have a couple of other reasons, but I think I\'ve summed it up.

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
Seems like we have a debate here. Being a samurai with 26-spline chro-mo front shafts. I can weld the front and If I dont like it I can swap it to the rear.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
I was thinking exactly that.  should do a gear setup if you do that though, and that\'s a bit annoying.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

wnyjpgy

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
obviously you need to do what you think will benefit you the most. Here are my points for debate.

1. Steering is the most important. The gates are narrow, however you have a narrow rig which will help.

2. Climbing is second. With a 80\"ish wheelbase I don\'t believe having a front locker is going to benefit you much. On the steep climbs there will be no weight on the front axle (should read wheelie), during this situation a rear locker  (read welded) should help you out.

3. Decending gets an honorable mention. How often have you needed a locker to decend a hill? Probably none that you remember. Last year we got slightly bound up going down hill against a rock, we then tried to back up breaking the front end, with the rear locker we were able to put it in 2wd and reverse and spin the rear of the jeep sideways to help it slide sideways down the hill. If it were open it wouldn\'t have helped.

With that being said, I\'m just trying to give you my honest opinion, if it helps great, if not no biggie.

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
The sammi axles have removeable thirds So no gear setup is necissarry.

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
Here it is after the spring over performed last night. Thanks for all the help.

Those are almost bald 33\" MTRs on it. It is looking good.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=887.0