http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
Towing Liability

Author Topic: Towing Liability  (Read 5507 times)

JordanWalk193

Towing Liability
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
So lets say I am driving around and I see someone in a ditch. I go pull them out and something breaks on their car ie maybe a bumper or something. Would I be liable for the damages? Should I make them sign a paper saying I am not liable and should I have them attach the tow strap to their car themselves?

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
Re: Towing Liability
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »
this is why i do not stop and help, unless she is REALLY cute  

i bet you could get blamed.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »
teshnically there is a good samaritan law that protects you but in my opinion its not worth the possible lawsuit. I will offer to give rides or let them use my phone I won;t pull them out though

Offline GTJake

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
so whos bumper did you tear off?

Dragon

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
As a rule, I only pull them out if I know them, or if it is an officer of the law (never had to help one of them, though).
Otherwise...the risk of potential lawsuits, even if you DON\'T damage something, is too great.
Everyone is looking to make a buck, I don\'t want it to be at my expense just because I\'m a nice guy.

Jake had the right question.   Who did you damage.  :)

Offline hawker

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
I favor being helpful over being paranoid.  The other night I came upon two stuck cars about 50 yards apart on a stretch of road with windblown drifts.  A car with youths (high school or college age) had just pulled over, too.  With the help of the youths, we hooked up my tow strap with metal hooks (ouch) to each of the car\'s rear cross members and pulled them out.  I told the youths to stand clear because if the strap broke, people could get hurt.  I taught safety while I was being helpful (can\'t help it -- I\'m a teacher and look for teachable moments!)

I asked the car\'s drivers if they were OK with me pulling them out, that I hoped that nothing would break.  They said yes.  I pulled.  They were out.

Don\'t be stupid, though.  Don\'t yank on bumpers and fuel lines.  Go for cross members or (if challenged) axles.  Yes, you will need to crawl in the snow.

We do our hobby a greater service by being helpful than by being paranoid of lawsuits.  

If someone sues me, fine.  I ain\'t got no money to get!

Scott
hawker
2020 Jeep Gladiator stock Rubicon
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ - 2-door, long wheel-base) -- 4" lift, 33" MTRs

Offline GTJake

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »
im in favor of helping too. i prefer to have them hook up the strap though. ill supervise, but if they hook it up then i dont have 2 crawl in the snow and im not liable for damaging anything

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
I would be more paranoid about them hooking up the strap. we have alot more knowledge than most ppl when it comes to safe, not so safe, and I shouldn;t hook here but it will work tow points.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
I\'ll let them crawl in the snow to hook the strap, but I\'ll look at what they\'re hooking to since I don\'t want a bumper coming through my back window.

I have yet to pull somebody out of a ditch though.  I\'ve done a lot of pushing....
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline GTJake

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
mike, i dont see a bumper going through YOUR window, its a long way up ya know

Yukoneer

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
I can\'t count how many times I\'ve pulled people out of ditches on campus at RIT.   When it\'s snowing like a blizzard outside, I actively go out and drive around looking for stuck people.  I do it because it\'s fun for me :-)

It always was me that did the hookups.  I did all the work, hooking up both ends, pulling out, then letting them go.  Made friends with a few victims, and some offered to pay me but I always politely decline. I\'ve developed a small reputation of doing this and friends of friends of friends contact me for help at all hours.  One time I\'ve even had someone ring my doorbell at 4am and I obliged to help.

It\'s just a matter of common sense... If there\'s a safe attachment point for attaching the HOOKLESS strap, then go for it.   Sometimes I attached to a car\'s tow point using a d-ring which also works.

Damn, I miss doing this.  I miss the snow :-(    It was in the upper 70\'s in Florida today and I\'m wearing shorts.  The geezers around here think I am crazy for wearing shorts, but it\'s summer year-round to me because my body\'s acclimated to the northern climate.

The worst offenders getting stuck in the snow at RIT when I was there were Subarus and YJs.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=884.0;prev_next=next