https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
my Xj\'s Antilock brakes, NOT WORKING!

Author Topic: my Xj\'s Antilock brakes, NOT WORKING!  (Read 6252 times)

Soileater

my Xj\'s Antilock brakes, NOT WORKING!
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
they are either not Working or working to hard, i have had problems with them in the past, right after coming out of a trail, with the mud in them they would lock up, and not disengage so i would not stop, the brake peddle would keep pulsing, and i would keep on rolling. This never was a real problem because after i pressure washed them out they would work fine again. Problem is i havnt done off roading in over two months, and i have cleaned my brakes, there spotless, the other day i was pulling out of the gas station, going under 5 miles an hour, and began to break because there was a pick up truck trying to pull out in front of me, as i applied the brake, they locked up again, but this time i was to close, that by the time i pulled the e-brake, i had bumped his back bumper, he was really cool about it, and lucky no damage was caused. This has happened to many times and i have almost slid into oncoming traffic due to this. it only happens when it is wet out, or sloshy in the winter.

I HATE THEM, SCREW ANTI LOCKS,

is it as easy as disconnecting the fuse on them to turn them off? or is it more complex?

Offline Ryan_25

Re: my Xj\'s Antilock brakes, NOT WORKING!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »
If the XJ is like the ZJ there is a relay under the hood in the fuse center that says ABS on it. Just pull it out.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
pull the fuse!  get safe brakes ASAP so you don\'t cause an accident!

sounds like your sensors or the tone rings are probably full of crap.  you can\'t just pressure wash that too easilly since it\'s behind the hat of the rotor.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline GTJake

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
its a common problem on older chevy trucks too, the sensors can be expensive to change if you cant clean them. i agree with pulling the fuse/relay.

i dont even have ABS in mine, haha

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
Ryan I think you\'re right.  Come to think of it, when my ABS started acting up, if I pulled the fuse I lost the speedometer, but pulling the relay kills the ABS and leaves the speedo alone.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Soileater

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
thanks guys my internet has been down, but that\'s what i did i pulled it right off took me under 30 sec\'s thanks a lot.

Fisher24

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
i had the same problem when i first got my TJ...i pressured washed the brake that was giving me the problem and disconnected the brake and then hooked everything back up and havent had the problem again even after taking it off road i hope i dont run into the same problem!

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=836.0;prev_next=next