http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
CrotalusFJ - Finally!

Author Topic: CrotalusFJ - Finally!  (Read 8246 times)

CrotalusFJ

CrotalusFJ - Finally!
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »
After keeping it stock for almost a year, my son and I started the first of several mods on my 2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser to make it even more trail-worthy.  The only significant previous mods were a scuba mod for the differential and E-locker breathers and a custom antenna mount for a cb antenna.

Last weekend, we put on a 3\" Rough Country lift with the upgraded Trail Teams Edition Bilstein Offroad suspension for the FJ.  This week, we began work on a custom tube bumper.  Rock rails are soon to follow.  I\'ve also ordered some 34\" Nitto Terra Grapplers and they should be here from Discount Tire Direct in about a week.  

I hope to have all of this accomplished before an FJ event at Rausch Creek the weekend after Turkey Day.  I\'ll get some pics posted of the build here soon.  Any other FJs out there?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: CrotalusFJ - Finally!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:01:14 AM »
sounds pretty sweet!
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline gCracker

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »
very cool

CrotalusFJ

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »
Thanks!  Here\'s an update and some pics of our progress...

I\'m adding a bull bar in front and a 2\" hitch receiver on the lower member to finish it off and then a friend of mine who is an excellent welder is going to finish the joints for us.

Rock rails are next...

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »
i totally saw those plates at rochester surplus last week and almost bought them- im glad someone found use for them!
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline GTJake

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
totally

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
totally indeed.

buzzzz crack pop

(XJ with no muffler)
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

CrotalusFJ

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »
True!  I\'m glad that you didn\'t buy those plates because they fit my FJ like they were made for it! :lol1:  Otherwise, the plan would have been to just have tubing where the plates now are!  

I thought that I would get the bull-bar bent up and put on today, but I\'m not feeling up to it.  Perhaps tomorrow...

I made another trip to Rochester Surplus today also - I now have the steel to make my rock sliders and will get started on those right after the bumper is completed.

CrotalusFJ

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:03:01 AM »
Had a blast at Rausch Creek over the weekend!  It was the first trip there for me and my son.

Here\'s a a couple of pics of our finished home-built bumper - one in the driveway and an other of the bumper in action at Rausch Creek...

Notice that for the run, I attached my Hi-Lift to the bumper.  I\'m pretty happy with how it turned out - it\'s very solid.  We still have some minor cosmetic blemishes to smooth over and it\'s only in primer for now - I\'m thinking about painting it white when I can get it someplace warmer to work on it.

Next project:  Rock sliders!

CrotalusFJ

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »
Well, my 34-inch Nitto Terra Grappler \"pizza cutter\" tall and skinny 285/75/17s made it to my doorstep yesterday from Discount Tire Direct!  I took them to get put on at Monro\'s today but had to pick the FJ up after dark  All I have are crappy cell phone pics, but this is the best I could do for now.

They haven\'t rubbed on the body mounts yet, but they barely rubbed a couple of times on the plastic body mount cover when turning into a drive that had a dip in it.  I really haven\'t had a chance to drive around on them much - only about eight miles.  On the flat and standing still, the closest that the edge of the tires come to the body mount cover when turning them is about 0.5 inch.  Yes, the back window will still open over the spare.

Time will tell, but I think that I am really going to like these!

Offline GTJake

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »
they fit the fenders well. looks good

fedrusion

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »
Very Nice.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=791.0