http://www.4wd.com
AOAA June 25-27

Author Topic: AOAA June 25-27  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Jeff_G

• Board Member
AOAA June 25-27
« on: June 27, 2021, 06:26:18 AM »
It was nice having Thursday through Sunday off to go wheeling. Of course my planned early departure Thursday didn’t go like I thought, but leaving around 1pm it was still an easy ride to AOAA. Camp was set up in short order and my dinner of junk food quickly prepared. I had the opportunity to meet Hollie AKA Mischief Maker and our trail guide Bill. We chatted a while about tomorrow’s upcoming ride. After getting over the Ooooo I’m meeting Hollie, she turned out to be just as fun in real life as she seems on YouTube. Good nights were said and I headed back to the campsite to wait for Tom and his daughter Rebecca who arrived just before 10pm. The fun started and there was a lot of laughs as Rebecca had her tent up in short order while Tom was no where near done and I don’t think my help was very helpful. With camp set up it was off to bed with dreams of the weekends rides.

Friday morning finally came, breakfast was fast and vehicle were made ready for the days ride. Meeting at the office we got checked in and hit the trail heading straight for Barney Rubble. Tom and our trail guide Bill took the creek bed while the rest of the group followed me ( See Mark, I to can influence bad decisions you have trained me well) we all met at the top of the trail where we were off to find more adventure. Since I suck at remembering trail names I’ll just say we had quite the day covering trails and various obstacles. The funniest part of the day was when we came across a huge rock pile that was just dumped there presumably for the rock garden under construction here and while we had the whole park at our disposal Bill and Tom climbed to the top looking at lines. Bill decided that it was a bit extreme and didn’t want to break his buggy on the first day of wheeling. Then both he and Tom (another disciple of Mark Wings school of bad influence) hollered at Hollie motioning to her and the line they thought was best. And while this was done in jest Hollie said ok, jumped in Mischief Maker and proceeded to make short work of the rock pile. This made Bill have to do it followed by others in the group who were all spotted by Tom. With the rock pile behind us we hit a few more trails before ending the day taking a group photo where Hollie announced she ordered pizza for the group at here campsite. Dinner was consumed and we were all sitting around when Tom thought it was a good idea to lean to far back in his chair which didn’t take the strain well and buckled. Shortly after that Mark arrived and being a true friend brought Tammy with him now all I have to worry about is what stories about me did she tell him on the way down. Introductions were made and a bit more chatting ensued. Shortly after our friends from Maryland arrived and mark went to greet them. The bed was calling so the night ended with more dreams of tomorrow’s trails

Saturday started with everyone getting checked in then we saddled up and hit the trails…… that is until we got stopped by the trail Nazis and the felt the need to do a cooler check. Then we were off starting with a nasty (my opinion) off camber black 12C. After getting over my panic attack from being off camber and after removing wood from Toms bead to stop an air leak we hit several trails before coming down Barney Rubble. From there we hit more trails like Boy Scout and Renees Hill and SOB, ending up at Lower Anthracite where Tom gave control of his Jeep to Rebecca his 16 yo daughter who did fantastic making it to the end. We hit Twister on our way back to camp. Dinner was cooked and consumed followed by a fire at Hollies site where we chatted about the days trails until sleep called.

Sunday, what can I say about Sunday. For me it ended badly but started good. We left camp 9ish and hit 39C, Whiskey ridge and Upper Anthracite Mark was the only one crazy enough to try Der Stuka (Red) which had him clinching his seat on the descent. The day came to an abrupt end when my Jeep developed electrical problems. Mark ended up towing me back to the campground where we left the Jeep waiting on rescue.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 04:31:05 PM by Jeff_G »

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3976.0;prev_next=next