http://www.treadlightly.org/
Rausch Creek 6/5,6

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 6/5,6  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Rausch Creek 6/5,6
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Wheelin with the “Cocaine Cowboys” at Rausch Creek

It all started on the last Sunday afternoon in April while on what was to be the last trail of the weekend. I saw a lone little GPW at the top of Stair-Step trail that turned out to be an old acquaintance from 6 years ago. Before parting ways, we had shared our wheelin’ plans to see if any coincided and we could get to wheel together. At that point, no plans were matching up.

A couple of weeks ago, my schedule was shaken a bit and the “ducks” got lined up. I put the word out to see if any FLX people wished to join and Dennis accepted the challenge. We got our buggies loaded and headed down Friday afternoon and arrived just after nightfall. After a brief introduction with our neighbors, it was time to turn in.

The birds started singing early Saturday morning and various campers began to shuffle and stir. Knowing that we needed to be ready earlier than the FLX usual, we also began our preparation for the day. We found a small issue on Dennis’ buggy so he jumped in with me. After signing in, we gathered across the road on the northeast property and met the rest of the group. All eleven or twelve looked to be seasoned and well-equipped wheelers. It was going to be a fun day!

While the group awaited a last-minute straggler, a few of us headed into trail “F” (red) to shake off the dust a bit. After making fairly quick work of it, we returned to the group and chatted until everyone was accounted for.

Eventually, everyone was mobilized and we departed for Outer Limits (red) via 40, K2 and other blue and green trails along the way. We also hit BFG Hill (black) along the way and the GPW was still having fueling issues. A few of us split off of the pack and attempted repair but no spare fuel regulator available and unable to band-aid the current unit forced us to just deal with it. Off again toward Patriot trail. It runs parallel to N3(?) and we could see a number of JKs parked on it. Fortunately for us, there is a middle entrance that divides the green/blue from the black/red so we enjoyed a clear run through the harder section. Moving forward to Outer Limits. A more difficult line directly up the hillside was chosen instead of the off-camber loop and most succeeded.

Next up was going to be Crucible (red) but after winding our way there, we found a couple of rigs disabled with an oil pan puncture. Knowing it was not going to be a quick fix, we offered supplies and headed back to regroup at Devil’s Den (black) for lunch where we enjoyed watching others weave and claw and winch their way up.

After lunch, it was time for Affliction (red). It is still a bit confusing after the pipeline went through. About half of the group tried a rather gnarly uphill line with only three being successful while the rest of us spectated (or napped).

Being a hot and sweltering day with a gratuitous breeze, it was time to head back to camp and resupply, especially with water. On our way, we ran "F" trail (red) in the opposite direction with no issues. Once back at camp, Dennis opted to stay back and try to address his buggy issue. The big group split up again and our part headed to the south and west side.

We meandered over to Walk in the Park (black) and walked that climb with relative ease. We heard some action at Trail 5 hill climb (red) and headed over. After watching a YouTuber give the right side some concerted effort and eventually scramble up the middle, the GPW and I climbed the left side without issue. One of ours put wheels up on the middle wall and heated the front tires. After letting out of the throttle, there was some clatter from the 4.0L engine that wasn’t there before, and bailed on the attempt.

Now Crawl Daddy (red) was on the radar. There was a large group by the entrance so I figured there was going to be a wait. It turns out that the group was just enjoying some shade and chatting, like wheelers are known to do. We turned in without pause and successfully navigated the difficult parts, each choosing a different line. With the help of a spotter, I managed to crawl the right side groove(?) that has denied me on more than one occasion. One of the others alerted me to a rear ARB locker not engaging. Later, I diagnosed the issue to be a dirty switch that didn’t always trigger the solenoid. It was fine for the remainder of the weekend.

On to Crawler Ridge (blue) where the GPW attempted the V-notch. A valiant attempt was made but, after nearly flopping onto the driver’s side multiple times, made the call to back out. I worked my way up, and after several attempts to get my front tire to climb a ledge instead of slide around, two spotters stepped in and pushed/held the front so the tire made that ledge and ultimately walked over the top.

While still on the topic of ridges, we headed to Hot Rod Ridge and made quick work of that until a fuel pump disabled a JK. Turns out, he also had a winch failure. Thankfully not far from the exit, we pulled him out and back to camp.

It was nearly sunset and Dennis had burgers waiting for my return. Of course, he also made quick friends with our neighboring campers so we enjoyed an evening around the campfire. It had been a long day!

The park was far less busy on Sunday, since the weekend event had concluded. Many of the group left so there were only 6 rigs left. That early starting time was not changed to FLX time so Dennis and I were up early to prep. After some morning neighborly chat and farewells, we were off again.

Onward to Camelback (black) and Snakebite (purple/black) then into the Quarry (blue). Crawling near the rock face and fallen boulders took out a front output flange on one Jeep. Unable to get the bolts to rethread in and not having any nuts to put on the back, he was done and Dennis winched him up to flat stable ground where he could drive back to his trailer under his own power. During the repair attempt, Dennis and I walked the entrance to Shoot the Moon (black/red). The GPW tried a couple of different lines but was denied. I worked at and made the left side waterfall exit with a healthy bump and flying mud. Dennis tried a few times but then opted for the right side bailout. I had greased it all up for his attempt.

Lake Christy and some sandy hill climbs were next. No one had issues there.

At my request, we did Krawlin’ for COPS (blue) since I’d never been on it and we were close. The hill descent at the end is pretty good! Even better is turning around and crawling up it! But alas, someone sheared a rear transfer case output after a hard bounce. A short winch pull and he was under his own power to eventually return to his trailer.

On our way back to the lot, we turned into Cemetery (black/red) and climbed out on the big exit with no issues.

Trail 6 (black) and Stair Step (black/red) followed and by then…

It was time to say goodbye, load up, clean a layer or 10 of coal dust off, and enjoy the air conditioned comfort of our tow trucks for the haul home.

Thanks go to the “Cocaine Cowboys” for a great weekend!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:11:08 PM by Wingman »

Offline 18436572

• Board Member
Re: Rausch Creek 6/5,6
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »
Sounds like an awesome trip!!   Wish I could have made it.
Joe Bailey

80s Turbo diesel Samurai, Toyota drive line, 37” red labels

92 k1500, 383 stroker, 5 spd manual.

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Rausch Creek 6/5,6
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »
Nice write up!
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp